Monday, February 11

Smaller Portions

ADDENDA:
Got good sleep, but woke up with a thumping headache, don't know what that's about. I suspect I may be dehydrated? Gonna spend the day active, whether it's job-search or not. Laundry and cleaning the house, bike repair, research book shelf construction, meeting a friend of a friend at 5:30 to help with the assembly of a newsletter.

Weighed myself this morning: 233, I'll assume the 2lb loss is just a natural up-and-down, maybe from being dehydrated, he he. Gonna focus on small portions today. While eating last night's Japanese, the tray of fried tempura appetizer, something I've eaten many times before, just seemed irrationally large for a starter - with a bowl of rice to cut the greasiness, it could of been a meal in itself.

AM DRUGGING: 8:30am, 2 tylenol

BREAKFAST: 10am, homemade pancakes, hunger 4/5
Out of milk and yogurt, used the left over eggwhites and half and half from the ice cream (which B has gobbled up!) The pancakes were flat and dense, but very tasty, the extra fat communicating the graininess of the whole wheat flower in the mix.

AM WATERING: 11:30am, 24 oz tap

LUNCH: 3pm, whole wheat pasta with sweet italian sausage & olive oil, baby carrots & ranch dressing, water, hunger 4/5
Spent a good part of the morning following job leads and sending out resumes. Went out to buy bike tubes and picked up an onion and mushrooms to cook up with dry pasta and some non-nitrate sausages I had hidden in the freezer. Sweated the veg together with a dash of salt and woostechire, made an excellent compliment to the wheaty pasta. Made what was once one large portion for myself, ate half and feel perfectly satisfied.

The sausages were pre-cooked and not so great, but good enough. I sprinkled dried basil about 5 minutes before finishing, and finished the dish with a splash of extra-virgin olive oil and freshly grated parm-reg. Upon thinking about, a squeeze of lemon and a shake of wine would of made this dish a lot more interesting.

DINNER: 8pm, falafel platter with humus, babaganoush, couscous, 1 pita, hunger 4/5
On the way home from helping a friend of a friend with some graphics matters, swung by Cafe Rakka on St. Marks for falafel. I used to go here in high school to eat and thought it was the coolest thing in the world, weird Middle Eastern food, cheap as dirt. It's not so weird anymore, but still pretty cool - I guess for a teenager, I didn't have it ALL wrong.

As I was eating this evening, I thought of what brought me here as a kid. My mom introduced me to falafel as a child, the food she remembered from living in Israel. To find this falafel joint independently of her...but still very much of her - like a step towards adulthood. Finding my way, with my recent thoughts of career-changing, I'm still at it.

And I didn't order a spinach pie, extra falafel balls or something sweet to go with it. It was still enough!

EVENING SNACK: 10:30pm, 1 grape GuS soda, hunger 4/5
Craving sweet, feeling a but hungry. Didn't eat sweets today, so it's not too indulgent.

No comments: