Friday, October 10

Gone Cookin' (Farm Feast or Foible?)

Slept in, spent the afternoon packing and thinking of what could be fun to cook this weekend -- this evening, I'm leaving for a farmstead in Massachusetts, where a friend inherited a large piece of land and another is attempting to farm the soil. I'll be in the kitchen cooking for three others, and I'm not sure what the state of the place is -- I hear it's a bit rough. I'm busting out the school tool kit and a quart of double 00 flour.

No mixer, no food processor, no blender, no ice cream machine, what in earth am I gonna do?! I'll have access to a farmer's market and a Wholefoods by car, and apples are in season. So, apple pie in a simple paté sucrée (rub that butter into that flour!) it shall be! Ditto roasted squash, since one of us doesn't eat wheat or potatoes, another doesn't eat meat, and the other has dairy issues. Oy.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume I won't have internet access this weekend. Check back here on Wednesday for a full report with pictures...

ADDENDA:
Had extra latke mix in the fridge, so it was either lunch or the trash. Aging it for a day in the fridge helped the flavor of the chives, salt, and potato come together, and a lot more moisture separated from the mix, too.

BREAKFAST: 9:30am, banana, 4 spoonfuls of pudding, .5 bowl, hunger 3/5
There was only a little pudding left, a lot of burny bits in the corners of the bowl. I'm so gonna cook the hell out of my next batch. And serve it with whipped cream, mmmm.

LUNCH: 2pm, potato pancakes, pickles, apple sauce a la momma-in-law, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

Had to run off, hope you can wait to learn what I had for dinner until next week!

1 comment:

WTRSKID said...

Noah, post the recipe for the squash, please - just bought my first one yesterday and I'm not sure how to cook it.
D