Friday, February 22

Bakin' Brownies!


ADDENDA:
While I was up late last night, thought about the ridiculous cookies I ate last night - there is a strong sense memory associated - I used to love them as a kid, used to scarf entire (large) boxes of them in one sitting in college. They just tastes like home. They also taste weirdly inauthentic, a certain shmudgy quality to it's base flavor that just doesn't taste right. Reading the label, there is about 25 ingredients, 15 of which I wouldn't of dreamt of using if I was making them myself.

So I found some simple recipes for brownies, which I happen to have all the ingredients in the house...later today, my first crack at brownies - my mom used to make them from a mix, but according to the recipe, looks ridiculously simple...

That calzone from last night looks freakishly large this morning, though it went down easy. I made a slightly smaller one for B, which she finished without too much struggle either. I needed to use the big plates, and still it hung off the sides. I should of made 4 calzones instead of 2, and saved one 1 two as left overs...

BREAKFAST: 10:30am, good yogurt with honey, vanilla, raw cashews, 1 bowl, hunger 3/5

LUNCH: 1:30pm, homemade cheese ravioli dressed with olive oil, grated cheese, salt & pepper, quart of tap water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Lesson learned - add salt to the water for pasta, do not sprinkle it on after, as it'll be nasty. The pasta itself, even after freezing overnight, was absolutely fantastic - these toothsome pillows of fluffy clean-tasting spinachy cheese were a little overwhelmed by the oil and salt I through over the top. Got a big bag left in the freezer to romance B with later this weekend, though...will top it right then!

PM SNACK: 2:15pm, homemade brownies, .5 bowls, hunger 3/5

Surprisingly disappointing. A little bit more cakelike than I like, too sweet, not chocolatey enough, and slightly gritty because I forgot to disolve the sugar in the butter before beating in the dry ingredients. Still, I'm sure B will tear through the pan in a blink of an eye...

DINNER #1: 7:15pm, fried battered fish sandwich on brioche bun, french fries, pickle, 2.5 bowls, hunger 4/5
Not the meal I was hoping to share with Ilsa for the first time, but we (and a bunch of other friends) waited for 45 minutes at a weird Japanese business man lunch place but was just too crowdd.

DINNER #2: 11:30pm, 2 octopus balls, spicy pork & kimchee, 2 pieces asparagus wrapped in bacon, 2 chicken "meet" balls, small dish of surprisingly bitter green tea ice cream, 2 glasses saki, 1 bowl, hunger 3/5
Some of us went back after the show to the weird sake bar, and got seated after half an hour. We weren't that hungry, so avoided the more esoteric things on the menu I was previously looking forward to (fried gizzards, spagetti with ketchup) We were served some sea urchin that was oddly brown which I avoided.

This food over all was kinda gross, with strong sauces and smokey cooking methods to cover the fact that the ingredients were cheap cuts of meat and 2nd-rate staples. But, alas, it was dirt cheap and the saki was strong.

EVENING SNACK: 2:15am, 1 brownie, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: