Tuesday, February 19

Tots of Fury

ADDENDA:
My sister-in-law and her 4 tots of fury are coming to spend the day and sleep over. I see kosher food in my future...

BREAKFAST: 10:45am, organic cheerios with good milk, hunger 3/5
Got a solid 9 hours of sleep.

LUNCH: 1pm, one peanut butter sandwich on the whitest kosher rye bread ever, water, hunger 4/5
Their mother, Rebecca, went to the local kosher market and served up yogurts, bananas and creamcheese on 'Jewish Rye', which had no seeds, no tang and was kinda like an oval white bread. I toasted a couple of pieces and put my own good peanut butter on it.

I took them to the American Museum of Natural History, which my own mother would take me and my brother to regularly - though she'd say, "OK, meet back in an hour!" and we'd all seperate and wander around by ourselves. I see now what a luxury that must of been for a mom with two tots, an hour of quiet alone in the museum. Between the schools being out and the four kids pulling in four different directions, what a headache!

We came in through the subway entrance on the lower level, and the first thing to confront us was not a dinosaur or a mammoth, but the cafeteria. I remember eating their on a school trip as a child, and thinking even then how crappy the food was!

After a couple hours in the museum, we took the kids into Central Park to run up and down the big rocks (another thing our mom would indulge us in - I see now it's an effective tool to run our batteries down!) I found myself starving - one peanut butter sandwich not a lunch make. I was tempted to buy a pretzel or something from a vendor, but I felt awkward buying something for myself that I couldn't share with the four children I was with.

DINNER: 5:45pm, horrible kosher pastrami sandwich, lots of pickles and slaw, 1 chocolate chip cookie, 1 bite of overly sweet chocolate cake, hunger 4.5/5
We went to the local kosher deli in my neighborhood, which happens to be named "Noah's Ark". I've only been their a small handful of times, the majority with my parents when my brother has been in town. The only two that stand out was a few days afte my father died, my mom, my aunt and my brother went there. A few months after my mother died, I was their to meet a few collegues of hers who run many of the Jewish social services in the area, so they could express how highly they thought of her over pickles and rye.

I must say the food is quite horrible. The pastrami was thin, dry and shockingly flavorless - and very pink, meaning health-destroying nitrates were added for no reason other than color. Three of the 4 kids got 'kids meal', which I were shocked to find were medium-sized adult portions - I would of been happy with the amount of food on the plate. One kid got a turkey sandwich, which was almost the exact same size of my own sandwich - WTF?!

No comments: