Wednesday, October 29

The frozen aisle just ain't doing it for me anymore.

Just didn't feel like cooking today. After laundry and chores, ate some of last night's leftovers, but still felt unsatisfied. I needed to go to the local conventional supermarket to pick up detergent and Halloween candy (because no kid wants some sort of nouveau 'healthy' candy), so I had the idea of maybe buying some ingredients for a fresh lunch.

The packaged meats looked bleh, the fresh seafood not so fresh. I used to be a big fan of the freezer aisle, and I was stopped by a package of frozen falafel. I was about to buy it but made the mistake of reading the ingredients. About ten different spices, all dried, none fresh. No oil at all, which means you must fry yourself, microwaving not really being an option. To its credit, there weren't any preservatives in it, but that just underlined my final thought before putting it back on the shelf: shee-it, I can make this myself. Indeed, maybe next week.

This was the supermarket of my parents. Wandering around, missed them pretty hard amongst the frozen foods. Ended up just getting vegan boca burgers. Oh well.

ADDENDA:
I made falafel in c-school, it was a good recipe. For those readers who followed me here from Culinary School Confidential, just got my grades today from the 5th and final mod. Chef Al gave me the lowest grades of my experience, dipping my GPA just below what I needed for graduating with honors. However, it seems I'll be getting a grade for my externship, so no grade-grubbing necessary. Funny, I really don't care, except for that feeling of, "Oo, grade is not good enough, don't want to show my parents."

Went to yoga class today, just was not feeling it and zoned out by the time we started doing positions on the floor. Met with Ilsa about my diet n' stuff, and it seems an apple a day and some super-simple unreduced minimally cooked oil/minimal vegetable matter is in my immediate future. Baaaah!

BREAKFAST: 10am, organic chex with good milk, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH #1:
1pm, half a leftover homemade pizza, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH #2:
3pm, boca burger on whole wheat english muffin, ginger ale, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 7pm, pad see ew, water, small brownie, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 10:30pm, potato chips, handful of peanut butter cups, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Oy. I didn't eat enough today. And after Ilsa's command to eat more fruit and veg...

No comments: