Monday, October 27

Livin' La Pizza Loca Pt 1.


Monday night is a slowish night at the restaurant. I came in at 3 for a 5 opening, and I popped out a round of tiramisu, assisted on a balsamic reduction for topping the night's special pie (a butternut squash creation) and blended a load of basil and parsley into olive oil to create a basil pesto of sorts for another special pie.

Early in the evening I was sent across to the sister restaurant (which is closed Mondays) to slice some prosciutto and some spicy salami. I haven't spent much time on the slicer -- I think the amount time spent warning me about the slicer is greater than the time I've ever spent on one. Oddly enough, the owner was poking around the restaurant and gave me a tutorial on the slicer, ending up doing 4/5 of the slicing I needed to do. Then he showed me how to clean it properly, ending up pretty much cleaning it himself.

The rest of the night was mostly stretching dough, finishing pies, plating and boxing, cutting bread, and just ebbing and flowing with the personalities in the shop. A customer came in, a regular, in which everyone nick named 'the penis', as he has an oddly bell-shaped head and acted overly ingratiating and needs a lot of attention. I wonder if I've ever been given a nickname by the staff at any restaurant?

ADDENDA:
I spent the morning prepping whatever could be done in advance for dinner tomorrow night, when the HVS will swoop down with a small crowd of her family in town from Israel. I made some triple chocolate soy ice cream, a batch of creme anglais (which will become vanilla and strawberry ice cream), and a batch of pizza dough. The dough will be used for pizzas, garlic bread (to go with some squash soup), and some sort of deep fried pizza balls with powdered sugar to go with the ice creams.

It's a bit weird spending my morning making dough, letting it rise, then scaling and balling it at home...then going to work and doing the same thing. Living la pizza loca!

BREAKFAST: 8:30am, toasted onion bagel with homemade hummus, .75 bowl, hunger 3/5

LUNCH: 5:30pm, 2 slices, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 9:30pm, small portion of spaghetti with meatball, root beer, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING WATERING: 11:30pm, quart of water

EVENING TASTING: 11:45pm, spoonful of vanilla ice cream

No comments: