Saturday, October 25

A Weekend of Brunch


The restaurant started brunch this weekend. Due to crummy weather Saturday, it was quite dead. In the kitchen, an extraordinary amount of dough was made, on top of a large amount of dough prepared the day before. Rather than using a dough with 10-20% old dough mixed in, the day started with 100% old dough -- dough that was made the day before and refrigerated in ball form over night. The pies came out snappier on the outside, more tender on the inside, and a more developed, complex flavor. As Chef A and the manager/owner's wife (let's cal her Mow) were discussing this revelation, I butted in by saying, I don't know if you want to know this, but the neighborhood's main competitor ages their dough in a fridge for almost 2.5 days.

So later that day, while I chopped an extraordinary amount of dried apricots for the scones on the new menu, Mow asked me more about my time a the main competitor's kitchen. The main reason they don't hold dough for so long, I explained, is because there simply isn't enough space in the fridges. Still, the result was clearly superior and I think Chef A is going to brainstorm with R on how to finagle the space. It was nice, I felt a new comfort with Mow, my wonkish interest in pizza legitimized me in her eyes a little. Starting to get to know the different personalities in the shop, getting more comfortable overall.

On Sunday, the weather was much better, as was business. The back kitchen was responsible for many of the new brunch dishes, but there were a few mini pies as well as a couple of baked egg dishes that the pizza kitchen covers. (With time, I suppose I may get my hands in these as well.) It was a relaxed shift, as much of the dessert-prep and dough already done; along the way, I watched as Chef C was topping the pies -- he had a certain deftness with balance and even spread with toppings. My own dough-stretching skills seem to be improving, and I can now roll a ball of dough into a tight sphere with one hand. Now I need to work to roll two balls with two hands.

ADDENDA:
The dishwasher was throwing up and bleeding through the nose and had to leave. Almost spent Sunday eve doing dishes, but fortunately someone else came to do the shift.

Ate crapilly on reflection, need some healthy fare tomorrow.

SATURDAY
BREAKFAST:
9am, banana, granola with good milk, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5


LUNCH: 2:30pm, 1 slice pizza, 1 piece flourless chocolate cake, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM WATERING:
3:30pm, 2 pints of water

PM SNACK:
5pm, fancy orange soda, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER:
7:30pm, pork fried rice, wonton soup, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

SUNDAY
BREAKFAST: 9:30am, pumpkin donut, bagel with hummus, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 1pm, mini tarte flambe-like pizza, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Slow period, rolled a mini pie, topped with olive oil, then a twirl of crème fraiche loosened with cream out of a squeeze bottle, some caramelized onions then thin batons of prosciutto. Charred nicely, the best lil' lunch pie I've had in a while.

PM SNACK: 3pm, ricotta cheesecake, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 6:30pm, half a pastrami sandwich, half a plate of fries, pickle, 1.5 bowls, hunger 4.5
I can't believe there was a time I'd eat a whole sandwich and a whole plate of fries.

No comments: