Thursday, October 23

Kitties don't like my oatmeal bars. Stupid kitties.


This morning I took my mountain bike to the trails in Van Cordlandt Park in da Bronx. I took two donuts with me from my local gourmet donut shop. (Yuppie -- who, me?) After a long subway ride, once I got into the park, I paused for a moment of donut appreciation. Eating fresh artisanal donuts on a crisp fall day in the middle of a forest, there is nothing quite like it. Don't know if it made me feel closer to nature or closer to donuts.

ADDENDA:
While riding my bike back from the deep forests of the Bronx, I met stray kitties in two different neighborhoods. I offered both a piece of my oatmeal bar (the only food I had on me), but neither had the slightest interest.

BREAKFAST: 8am, good yogurt with honey, raw cashews, vanilla, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

AM SNACK:
10am, 2 good donuts, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK:
2pm, WF sports drink, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 3:30pm, homemade spinach pasta scraps with sauce, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
The variable sizes and shapes (and particularly thicknesses) really brought the point home about how important the shape of pasta is, how it creates the relationship with the sauce.

PM SNACK: 4:30pm, homemade oatmeal bar, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Still think it's too sweet, but the butter/brown sugar/hint of rum flavor is pretty friggin' great, despite that.

DINNER: 6:45pm, frozen pizza, homemade vanilla ice cream, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5
I cooked this exactly to box spec, which allowed for a pizza stone. So how was it?

In a word, crappy. There is pretense to healthiness -- the uncured pepperoni and an unknown percentage of whole wheat flower in the crust. While the ingredients list doesn't have 1,000 ingredients that I remember from the frozen pizza of my youth, it's still 3 servings per pie -- which means I just ate 1000+ calories and over 80 grams of fat. Let's not talk sodium. No, this is not healthy.

So if this is not healthy, I'd hope it would give me some visceral pizza pleasure. The crust tasted stale and cardboardy, the cheese was totally anonymous despite the listing of smoked provolone after moz, but the sauce had a nice level of sweetness to spice, provided by a little paprika. Still, taken all together, it tasted a lot like....a frozen supermarket pizza. Which is to say, crappy.

No comments: