Friday, December 5

Cooking with the Hungry Vegan Society


After yoga, I went to the HVS's house, who has been under the weather for a few days. We went to her local vegetable stand and got $12 worth of ingredients to make vegetable stock and blender soup. We featured sweet potato and parsnip, with a strong base of leek and ginger. We were limited, since we didn't have a real blender, and accidentally used a bit too much stock...but, overall, it came out pretty good. Instead of dairy, we used almond milk, which actually gave a nice nutty note to the proceedings; I might use it as a secret ingredient along with dairy in the future. It was nice to be able to cook with a friend, especially one who has been feeling crappy.

Went to a housewarming party c/o the new boyfriend of a close friend, a lot of young lawyerly types. My friend introduced me to a few people as a chef -- that's not quite true, as if anything I could call myself a cook -- a chef is boss of cooks, and I'm at the bottom rung. Still, everybody likes to talk about food and the fact that I cook professionally some how made me more legit in the eyes of these strangers. I think my self-perception just shifted a little.

ADDENDA:
I don't think I ate enough today, but the food was pretty limited at the party, and the only restaurants available in the slight ghetto-hood of the party was chinese and bad pizza. At home, I wasn't drunk enough to gorge on what was available.

BREAKFAST: 8:30am, good yogurt with honey, vanilla, raw cashews, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 1:45pm, frozen pizza, apple cider, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
The last of the pile of different frozen pies in my freezer.

PM SNICKLESNACK: 6pm, sweet potato parsnip soup, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING PARTY FEED: 8-11pm, a couple of salmon cucumber finger sandwiches, a few corn chips and guac, 6 Italian cookies, 2 beers, 1 martini, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: