Monday, December 8

French toast for Wifey

I woke up early to preheat the oven and pan. Last night I brought home 9 small slices of the restaurant's focaccia. I whipped some heavy cream, beat 2 eggs into it, seasoned it generously with cinnamon, powdered sugar and salt, then placed the bread to soak in it in a plastic container over night. The liquid was kind of viscous from the whipping, but still loose enough to be soaked up.

This morning not much liquid was left in the container, sponged up by the hearty pieces of bread. A generous lump of butter browned in the pan, and all 9 pieces crowded in. After 5 minutes, I flipped it (it was nice dark brown, not burnt at all) and placed the whole mess in the oven for another 5 minutes. When I took it out, it had firmed up nicely but barely brown on the flip side so I fried it for another 3 minutes to a nice golden color. Plated with a dash of powdered sugar. Wifey claims it was the best breakfast of all time, but I think that was just her baby bump speaking (and if that were to be it speaking, not a bad thing to say!) I think I could have gone sweeter with the batter, the whipping was unnecessary and made it too viscous and maybe more salt, too.

Being that the focaccia is the pizza dough baked in a slightly different method, I guess this is the closest I'll be getting to pizza french toast...

ADDENDA:
Spent the morning finishing the closets and shifting a lot of stuff to deep storage in the hall storage room. Last time I cleaned out my closets was the week after my father passed. Now I'm cleaning them out in anticipation of his grandchild. Closets are weird metaphysical spaces that hold our stuff for the benefit of our parents and our children.

Lower back is achy. Went to yoga to work it out.

BREAKFAST: 8:15am, focaccia french toast, apple cider, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

AM SNACK:
11:30am, 2 homemade peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH:
1pm, left over rice & beans, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Still good, must make this again and freeze a few batches. Very filling.

SNICKLESNACK: 4pm, portobello panino, vegan ceasar salad, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 7pm, scallion pancake, bulgogi, a few spoonfuls of white rice, kimchi, toasted rice tea, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 8:30pm, slice of apple pie and vanilla ice cream, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: