Tuesday, December 9

Learning to Top


Chef R was off doing managerial stuff, so it was Chef C and me in the kitchen. A few times during the night, Chef C took off to cut meat (because as we all know, the owner thinks I can not be trusted with his prosciutto), which allowed me to make about 6 pizzas on the main station. I've watched everyone top the pizzas, but doing it is another thing. I top it and it looks right, but when it comes out the oven I've clearly oversauced or overtopped, making a thick and potentially soggy eating experience. It's exciting, looking forward to more time topping the 'za.

Sunday is the shop's holiday party. It starts after work, meaning 10pm. Fancy dress, people have been writing songs (to pop tunes) about the people and restaurant. I believe the kitchen will be closed and the event will be catered.

ADDENDA:
Upon recounting what I at today, realized I drank 4 sugared sodas at work -- something that never would have happened if I was actually paying for them, I guess. That would explain the slight headache I had on the way home, which went away when I downed a quart of water.

Damn! Forgot to weight myself! Till tomorrow, then.

BREAKFAST: 10am, 1 apple, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5
An apple a day keeps Ilsa at play. Can't think of a better rhyme.


LUNCH: 12:30pm, sauteed boneless pork chop with pan sauce, wok-seared broccoli, 2 peanut butter cookies, slice of apple pie, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Some free time before work, swung by the market. For about $8, I had a large pork chop, finished with a pan sauce made with diced shallots, a shot of sake and veal stock out of a tetrapack. I seasoned the wok with some hunks of garlic and ginger sauteed in a small amount of peanut oil, removed the aromatics, tossed in the broccoli, then hit it with a shot of sake. Added a little veal stock then covered to get a little steaming action going, then seasoned it with a little soy sauce and that was it, still nice and bright green and crisp. Pork was a little overdone (though my c-school chefs would of approved, as it's supposed to be served well done) and the broccoli was good but needed some jazzing up with maybe some mushroom, cabbage, pepper -- I was trying to keep it simple, but probably didn't succeed in that part.

PM SNACK: 4pm, ricotta cheese cake, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACKS: 5-8pm, 1 slice, 3 sodas, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Craving sugar.

DINNER: 9:30pm, spaghetti & meatballs, soda, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING WATERING: 11:30pm, quart of water

No comments: