Monday, January 25

Rising slowly to the challenge

So this week I have bee challenged by my friend the HVS & my wife to eat a minimum of 2 cups minimally processed plant material (including fruit) every day this week. It's nice that it's not a reductive challenge, but a challenge never the less. I could relatively easily eat a vegetarian diet all week, and with a little more effort be strictly vegan; it's the minimally processed part that is the kicker. It is my training, no, it is my instinct to cook and alter and reorganize the raw basic bits into combinations that are more than the sum of their parts. To simply mix the basic raw stuff together with out really doing much to it (like in a salad) is a challenge indeed. But I guess I should start small.

I had to -- the weather was miserable today in NYC, with high winds and sheeting rain, nothing an apple-cheeked 7 month old should be exposed to if she doesn't have to. Tomorrow evening I'll start playing with the challenge, but today I just made due with what was on hand.

BREAKFAST pt 1: 9:30am, banana, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

BREAKFAST pt 2:
10:15am, toasted garlic bagel with homemade babaganoush & sable, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
I wanted to start off this week's challenge right, but it just wasn't enough, and I need to go food shopping to fruit it up a bit.

LUNCH: 2:30pm, edemame, spring roll, pork dumplings, sushi, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Ordered in during this bad weather.

DINNER pt 1: 6pm, large green salad, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Well, for today, this has to complete the challenge. So, how big is a "large" green salad? I scooped it out in a 1-cup cup and it came to a little over 3 cups.

DINNER pt 2: 6:45pm, hald a large pizza with pepperoni & sausage, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: