Thursday, December 1

Dough Boy, I am, I am.

228.2--->231.0

No surprise on the weight gain -- since the baby came on the 10th, I have not ridden a bike (other than for transportation), have not lifted any weights (other than an 8 lb baby and a 30 lb toddler on occasion) and have been eating quite poorly, in large quantities. But the I suspect the tide is turning.

Two things exciting on the knish front today: one, this was published, and two, I made a round of experimental deep-fried knishes that were much better right off the bat than I expected them to be. More importantly, I made filling for, and cooked off, about 72 knishes while dealing with an infant who needed constant feeding, burping, touching and the occasional put-down for sleep, and it went ok, except for maybe a Baby Bjorn that ended up covered in flour.

TODAY'S COOKING
Spinach Knishes & NY Style Knishes: I had left over dough to use up from the Thanksgiving knishes, so made nice batch of spinach/potato filling -- if I'm going to eat knishes AND be healthy, a knish with more than 1/3 very nutrition-dense greenery seems smarter than, say, a chicken skin knish. But looking ahead to the future, took a crack at the square 'Gabila' style fried knish, the kind that used to be sold at all hot dog carts (and you can still find them on occasion.) I used the same dough, the same plain potato filling, just wrapped it totally and in a square. Used hot oil - 450, because it didn't need to cook through, just needed to crisp the dough -- hotter and shorter fry means less oil is absorbed. On the first bite I knew that this was special. Hmmmm. How American of me.

AM SNACK: 7:30am, iced green tea

LUNCH: 1pm, 2 spinach knishes, large green salad, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


AFTERNOON SNACK: 4:30pm, 3/4 NY style knish, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 7:30pm, sushi, shumai, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
After cooking all day, needed to order in. Few things more fun than having your 2.5 year old daughter sample sushi and shumai for the first time. Fortunately, I was paying attention when she was about to put the little green ball of wasabi in her mouth, and prevented a night's worth of misery on every one's part.

No comments: