Monday, July 30

Monday, Time to Start Right Again.

ADDENDA:
After yesterday's salt-fest, want to try to start out right this week. Gonna focus on the produce this evening, then go home and cook for myself. The kasha yesterday gave me a slight headache, and after the watermelon, still greatly craved sugar. It took some will-power not to munch on the 2.2 lb bar of dark chocolate I got at Jaque Torres for baking....

BREAKFAST: 8:30am, 2/3 of toasted bagel with good butter, pint of still water, hunger 2/5. Felt tired but good, had good sleep. Not particularly hungry but want to start the week on the right foot.

LUNCH: 1:30pm, channa masalla, 2 dals, basmanti rice, raw onion, chocolate icecream cone, hunger 4/5. Meetings delayed me from eating earlier, got really hungry. This indian food was a little bland, but the little side of raw white onion that came with it really made it good - I never ate the onion that came with this meal until today - it's a kind of salt replacement. Meal was satisfying, but seriously craving sugar and something to cool my spicey onion mouth after.

PM SNACK: 20 oz of still water

DINNER: 8pm, cajun rubbed salmon fillet, stir-fried brocolli and portobello mushrooms, large green salad, haagen dazz icecream bar, small amount of JT dark chocolate cornflake clusters. Hunger 4/5. So I went back to Whole Foods to check out the veg, this time relaxed after a beer with B at a friend's going away party. I was hoping to be more experimental, but the onl hing that really grabbed me was the brocolli. I've cooked it a few times before, but it was never very good. So I thought I'd give it another go, it's been a few years. Got a piece of marinated salmon and some mushrooms. Stirfried the brocolli with the mushrooms with fresh garlic, ground pepper and some sea salt over high-heat till the green of the broc started shining. The fish smelly oddly like my cat's stinky breath.

The brocolli was GREAT! The wok was given to me a few years ago, but never really used it in any sort of traditional style like I've seen on tv - highest heat, keep everything moving, only cook for a few minutes. The brocolli was just the right combo of tender and crunchy, and the garlic, salt and pepper with the olive oil took away the bitterness and added a comforting buttery flavor to it (next time, gotta use butter!) The fish was surprisingly good, too - I never order salmon in restaurants because it's boring, but I cooke the fish close to medium rare - I chose a fatty cut, and it really added to the flavor. Nice being able to control that.

Not satisfied after, hoped another dose of chocolate icecream would turn me off, but it didn't. A handful of Jaque Torres dark chocolate corn flake clusters finally stopped me.

No comments: