Thursday, September 13

Yogurt Now, Yoga Later

ADDENDA:
The gift certificates we received for beginner's yoga classes begin only at the start of the month, so that's being put off til October. Gotta make a doc's appointment to see if my BP #s are fo' real, and start revising my attitude that a day without a desert is not a day worth living....perhaps yogurt to the rescue?

Ilsa forwarded me a link to a cooking school today. Kinda exciting, try to get on top of that next week....

BREAKFAST: 7am, small bowl of Fage whole-fat yogurt with a teaspoon of local honey, 2 pieces of organic whole wheat bread toasted with good butter, dirt pill, hunger 4/5
Woke up after a good 6.5 hours of sleep, guess the burgerpalooza didn't have any lasting effects.

Betsy is a huge fan of the Fage, eats it every day. I tried it early on in our dating life and thought it was nasty - tangy and bitter, the consistency and appearance not so far from Elmer's Glue. Over the break from blogging, I was thinking about how to reduce deserts - what is it that I like about sweets? One thing is the consistency and creaminess of soft serve ice cream - the sweetness is nice, but the thing I like most is the cold creaminess. Frozen yogurt is not an option - it has so much sugar and crap in it that it is just about as pointless as soy milk. If I were to find a non-desert that has these qualities, moving away from deserts will be one step easier....

Betsy is under the influence of the misconception promoted by gurus like Susan Powter in the 80s that "FAT MAKES YOU FAT". Cut out the fat in your diet, and somehow magically you will be thin. Of course, FOOD TASTES LIKE CRAP WITHOUT FAT and a lot of people replaced it with sugar, which made them fatter. Fat doesn't make you fat, silly, CALORIES MAKE YOU FAT. And calories come from fat, carbs and protein. I so boldly criticize my new (and rather slim and sexy) wife in this forum because the Fage she eats is 0% fat, strained of it rich, yummy goodness. I tried a small cup of full-fat (a.k.a. full-flavor) Fage with a squirt of honey a week ago and was shocked to find myself enjoying it. REALLY enjoying it. The squirt of honey (an idea from B, by the way) didn't really make the yogurt sweet, but it rounded out the sharp bitter tang that real yogurt tends to have - not mask it, but smooth it out, like turning down the volume of the stereo when it's just a tad too loud.

I wanna add peanuts to it, like I used to do with my (sickly sweet) Danon when I was a kid.

AM SNACK: 9am, 24 oz still water

LUNCH #1: 1pm, large green salad with Italian dressing, hunger 4/5
Brought this in from home, if I didn't eat it today it would go bad. Completely gotten from the Saturday greenmarket, really good. As I was getting a fork, Tamar asked me to join her and some peeps to eat, adding that Ilsa doesn't approve of eating at the desk. Ilsa's spies are everywhere!!

LUNCH #2: 4:30pm, natural peanut butter on whole wheat, saltless wholewheat pretzel, 3 ears unadorned corn, small amount of milk chocolate gelato. hunger 4/5
Got home ravenous, the peanut butter sandwich was good, the corn better. I didn't have butter and salt in Cape Cod, and boiled corn was amazing. So I tried it again, and again it was almost better - butter and salt kinda interferes with the straight corniness, masks it a little instead of enhancing it. I imagine if it was not so sweet or fresh, it would need the masking.

I wasn't planning on eating dessert, but Betsy was complaining of an upset stomach because she ate some gelato. So when I went into the freezer, she had eaten 7/8 of the tub in one sitting! I guess that's what you get for eating artificially fat-free stuff - when you're confronted by the real thing, ya go nuts because your body needs the fat! There was so little gelato left, it was literally 1/3 of a desert portion for me.

DINNER: 7:30pm, 3 different sausages, kraut, cold potato salad, 1 beer, 1 cupcake, hunger 3/5
Met up with friends at Zumschneider on Ave C, a nice German beer hall for Roshashanah. The sausage platter was probably not much less healthy than everything else on the menu. This was probably the saltiest meal I've eaten in a while.

Technically the cupcake was a 2nd desert, but quantity-wise, it adds up to one dessert. False justification, I know, but it was peer pressure! The cupcake jumped straight into my mouth.

Close to 10pm, I have a very slight headache....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know that there's good fat and bad fat, dear husband, it's just that i actually PREFER the taste of 0%. the total tastes a bit sour-cream-y to me. but i'm THRILLED that you are happy with the honey add-in...and i forgot to tell you that an old colleague of mine liked to sprinkle cocoa powder on hers, to give it extra yummy richness!

feeling rich with love, good fat, and my honey,

b

Norberto said...

You prefer that paste? YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!! :)

I prefered the taste of soy milk till I paused, then tried real (organic, unhomogenized, full cream) milk...

I luv u B!