Friday, March 14

Post-Dinnerfest Wrapup II

ADDENDA:
Despite the late indulgence, slept like a rock - having Betsy by my side was what I needed. Funny, I didn't really miss her THAT much until yesterday afternoon and I was finishing up my work and she was back in NYC uptown helping her mom. Then I was, like, enough already, I miss her!

Rereading yesterday's post, I didn't really do a Dinnerfest post-mortem. Some random observations.
  1. Making a lasagna from scratch is an intense 5-hour affair.
  2. Everyone loves homemade icecream, but if you over-aerate it, it's not nearly as intense.
  3. When I cook something complex a 2nd or 3rd time, it's almost always better (specifically the risotto and the 2nd round of arancini.)
  4. Diverging from a recipe is a good thing 2/3 of the time.
  5. My friends are pretty awesome.
  6. I really enjoy cooking, but I'm still fuzzy if I want to do this for a living. However, I more now than ever want to go to Culinary.
  7. Pizza-fests are the easiest go-to fun meal for a crowd, but I need to find a good dough recipe.
  8. I gotta cure my own bacon, too.
  9. Dinnerfests generate a LOT of dishes, and a lot of Wholefoods bills (and a whole lotta leftovers - the mini freezer is stuffed with ice creams and brownies!)
  10. A lot of people don't want to eat vegan. Even the HVS pulled a boner.
  11. The only thing Rufus has with misery is a love of company.
  12. Marinating pork for 3 days then browning it on high heat for 7 minutes on one side and 5 minutes on the other results in a restaurant-quality piece of meat. Up until Dinnerfest, I was a bit unsure of my skills handling real, un-grinded meat, but now I have the confidence for MORE PORK!
  13. Both my brownies and lemon muffins were (I think) superior to mixes, and not much harder to make.
  14. All my life when I made salad, it was a standard green salad with a very limited ingredient list. However, the baby spinach salad I made with the roasted nuts was so enjoyable, I think I'm going to start mixing it up. Salad season is upon us!!
BREAKFAST: 8:30am, good yogurt with honey and nuts and vanilla, .75 bowl, hunger 3/5
Ate 1/3 of a carton rather than 1/2, was still pretty satisfying.

LUNCH: 12:30pm, 2 slices streetza, green salad, water, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 5pm, 1 arancini, .5 bowls, hunger 4/5
Man, these things are good. I should do the same for the mac n' cheese I'm making - ball up old leftovers, bread it and fry it!!

PM SNACK: 6:30pm, 2 spoonfuls of almond icecream, ramakin full of pistachios, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 8pm, small portion of mac n' cheese, a few strips of prosciutto, small piece of chocolate cake and cheese cake, 1 glass wine, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5
Potluck dinner for B's cousin. Surprised how few people (no one other than me, really) brought home-cooked food. I made a mac n' cheese, took about half an hour to prep and an hour to bake, and it was still hot when we got it there. Disappeared pretty quickly.

No comments: