Tuesday, November 18

Half a face

Eating with a mouth and face that is numb on one side is revelatory. About an hour after coming out of root canal surgery which involved not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 injections of numbing chemicals to my mouth, I sat down in front of the TV in a comfortable position and ate a pint of Ben & Jerry's chocolate fudge brown ice cream. It's a familiar and monochromatic flavor, with the texture broken up with the fudgey brownie bits and slightly more caramelized and salty tones in it.

On my left side, I felt the smoothness, cold, sweet, chocolaty, density, a certain give of the ice cream and firmness of brownie. On the right side, the sensations tapered off into blankness, like all the words on the right side of the page were erased. The tension of the skin on my face indicated that part of the mouth was full, as was the resistance that my jaw pushed through, but it just....wasn't there. I sat there and really focused on what I was eating. It tasted good, but not....as fresh as the chocolate ice cream I made a week or so ago. I feel like I tasted Ben & Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie ice cream for the first time.

BREAKFAST: 10am, 8 mixed fried perogies with sauteed onion, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
I thought they'd be boiled then sauteed to form a little crust, these were deep fried and a little tough and chewy. Still, fun to eat all the left over side dishes of a Polish restaurant on one plate. Creamed spinach in one, kasha in another, a wallop of stewed kraut in a third, a pillow of crumbly but moist meat here, a smear of sweet potato there.

PM SNACK: 4:30pm, apple, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5
About to see Ilsa, assuaging a little bit of guilt with some fruit.

DINNER: 7:15pm, fried spring roll, beef masamam curry with sticky and jasmine rice, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 9:15pm, 2 peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, .25 bowl
Spending the evening in with wifey, somehow we ended up spontaneously baking cookies.

No comments: