Thursday, November 27

Gahwil Gahwil


Thanksgiving, what a great holiday -- you're supposed to cook/eat a homemade feat, and be with your family and/or bestest friends. At B's aunt's house, we were closer to the second rule than the 1st rule, but what are ya gonna do. My pumpkin pie was finished, despite the presence of two other pies and a cake. I spent the morning making two trays of stuffing, based on the methodology of this recipe. When reheated, it got a little dry despite being covered in foil -- next time I'm going to up the stock-content, and throw in a good lump of butter, too. The challah stuffing went, and about half the sausage--Jews just ain't down with the pork sausage.

Growing up, the Jewish holidays were shared amongst the different aunts and uncles; but Thanksgiving was just ours. My mom was in charge, though it was up to my dad to do most of the cooking. Mom did a lot of prep, baking potatoes and other things difficult to mess up. My dad did the turkey, crudites, salad, steamed green beans and garlic, roasted chestnuts. And of course, my mom put me 'in charge' of the stuffing, which was dumping a box of Stouffer's turkey-flavored stuffing mix into hot water with butter melted in it. Even then, I was vaguely embarrassed when my mom would say that I 'made' the stuffing.

ADDENDA:
The South American pasta chef at the restaurant pronounces gobble gobble as "GAHwil GAHwil". I don't know why, it just sounded incredibly cool. I wonder if South American turkeys have crazy accents, too.

AM WATERING: 7:30am, pint of water

NOON SNACK:
small plate of two stuffings, pint of black cherry and orange soda, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Can't serve something without tasting it first! Like the rye-sausage more than the challah, firmer texture and bolder pronounced flavor.

DINNER: 4:30pm, plate of sliced turkey breast and yellow gravy, steamed carrots, small green salad, sausage and challah stuffing, mashed potatoes, small piece of cake, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Other than a larger portion of stuffing than usual, did not pig out at all. The mashed potatoes were excellent, the person who made them following a restaurant recipe involving stock, roasted garlic and butter.

EVENING SNACK: 9:30pm, slice of pizza, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Feeling nippy, brought home old slices from the shop.

No comments: