Tuesday, November 25

Pies at home, then Pies at work


Spent the evening with Chef C, as Chef A has taken off for break and Chef R couldn't come in. It was an uneventful and well-run time at the pizza station, except for when the owner came in and yelled at me for improperly slicing the prosciutto. Granted, I was a little sloppy, but only from inexperience -- not from not trying or not caring. He used a few harsh words and made me wonder if I really want to work for this person. He can't fire me, because he hasn't hired me, and my apprenticeship hours are up on Saturday.

Chef C assured me that no one can work at this place for any period of time without the owner freaking out at least once, and that I shouldn't worry about it. Everyone who slices the cured meats screws it up the first few times. Regardless, here I am doing the owner a favor by coming in to cover a shift with less than 24 hours notice -- for free -- because there is literally no one else to do it, and here he is treating me like a 'tard. Lucky for him, my years of dealing with a-holes at work has given me a thick skin. Rather than lashing out, I just moan about it on my blog!

After that, I chilled with Rufus. He's my wonder-cat:


ADDENDA:
Spent the early morning at the supermarket, stocking up for Thanksgiving cooking. Made oatmeal-peanut butter bars for B's tummy and a couple of pumpkin pies for the holiday. Rushed through it, forgot a few details, hope it comes out OK.

Went to the kosher bakery around the corner to pick up breads to make stuffing. The old Eastern European woman behind the counter unprompted suggested making stuffing from the challah rolls, and told me her recipe -- stale the bread, run through a meat grinder, throw in some diced onions and peppers, mix in a couple of eggs, stuff in the bird. If it's too dry, add some water. Bim bam boom. My stuffing won't be that different in theory, but with a mushroom-chicken stock, the vegetables roasted before mixing with the bread, and the bread toasted instead of staled. And I'm still contemplating the seasoning and herb mix....

BREAKFAST: 7:45am, one chocolate donut from donut plant, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Tired, the hunger that comes from too little sleep. On the way to the supermarket to pick up ingredients for assorted Thanksgiving things, thought it unwise to go on an empty stomach.

LUNCH: 2pm, vegan cesar salad, tempeh, quineoa and steamed kale with tahini, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Snickle snacking with the HVS after yoga. Hadn't eaten this healthfully in a long time, and on the bike ride home my stomach was a bit queasy -- was it the crazy nutrients overwhelming my system, or just a lack of water?

PM SNACK: 3:30pm, 5 pieces of chocolate rugelah, quart of water, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER:
6:30pm, 1 slice, root beer, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK:
9pm, chocolate pudding, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Real chocolate pudding, none of that from-a-mix nonsense. Milk, dark chocolate, cocoa, corn starch and a dash of salt. Dead simple, deep and lush. Mmmmmm.

EVENING WATERING: 11pm, quart of water

No comments: