Monday, November 24

Watch them fingers


I had a lot of opportunities to slice off fingers this evening. I sliced up a bunch of waxy potatoes for the special pizza, and at one point in the evening was sent across the street to our sister restaurant (which is closed on Mondays) to use the slicer to make pepperoni and prosciutto. Making the sausage the proper shape and thickness was no big deal, but this was my first time cutting the prosciutto.

The thing is a large ham hock with dark red cured meat wrapped in fat and dry outer skin that needs to be hacked off before slicing. For purposes of laying on a pizza after it comes out of the oven, the meat needs to be paper thin, like a cell-worth of thickness. When it hits the pie, the fat needs to turn to jelly and the meat needs to loosen, almost like a meat-flavoring on the pie rather than a big textural wallop. I found this difficult to achieve until I was near the end. It seems you need to set the slicer to obscenely thin, then press the meat actively against it. Any other way will either come out clownishly thick or will deliver small, partial slices.

A lot of compliments on the soup from everyone today, including a few customers. Chef A chose the ingredients, but it was I who actually went to market to buy the ingredients (and choose the quantities), cooked the veg, processed the soup and seasoned it. So yeah, my ego is stroked, thank you very much!

Due to the upcoming vacation, I've been asked to come in Tuesday and Wednesday. Looks like my apprenticeship may be over as soon as Saturday. After that, they're going to either have to take me off the schedule or pay me the big bucks....

ADDENDA:
Weighed in at 223, about the same, a little less. I know Ilsa will be annoyed, but I can't help but be a little surprised that I'm maintaining my lower weight without trying, even in the least. It's not that I'm unhappy about it, I'm thrilled, I'm just used to yo-yo-ing a bit in my younger years and am used to the other shoe dropping by now.

B is like a space heater, radiating baby-heat and feeling warm despite turning off the heat, opening windows and sleeping without a blanket. It's kinda cool.

BREAKFAST: 12:30, toasted whole wheat bagel with good butter, banana, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 4:30pm, 1 slice, ginger ale, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK:7pm, 1 soda

DINNER: 9:30pm, mushroom rigatoni, soda, chocolate cake, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: