Wednesday, January 14

B's Baby Bump

While at school today, my wife had a check up with her doctors. She's 20 weeks pregnant and looks friggin' great, and I'm not even talkin' about the boob situation; I am not a boob guy, I've always been about the....well, thats for a different kinda blog. Anyway, B is in good health, the miniB seems to be in good health, but the doc made a comment about her weight. (And yes, dear friend, I asked permission to talk about her weight in public before posting this!)

The doc says she should be gaining about 25-30 pounds by the time she's ready to give birth. We're about 5 months in, and she's gained about 20lbs. Gaining too much could lead to prenatal diabetes. I see (most of) what B eats, she definitely does not go crazy overall, even though a lot of her steady habits have dropped in and out over the past half year. For a few weeks she couldn't eat a fruit or veg, but french fries were all the rage -- that was fun! She's back to eating veg, but between her growing bump, the cold weather and the inappropriateness of a preggers lady riding a bike is not working in her favor.

I suppose the doc's 25-30 lb limit is a bit different for every woman. B is hardly sitting around gorging on bon bons all day (though I would love it if she did that for a day -- just so I could lovingly complain about it), and I'm hesitant to encourage any sort of dieting for her n' Lil' Fetus (That's gonna be the name of our baby, Lil' Fetus. Middle name: Cletus.) Whenever B has expressed any sort of urge for a food, I've either made it or we ordered it in. She doesn't eat weirdly large portions, either -- if anything, she ate weirdly small portions matched with weirdly large binges late in the day. I would love a chubby wife -- so cute! Like one of them sexy German farm maids, with the ruffly sleeves....but that's for another kind of blog, once again!

BREAKFAST: 6:45am, organic chex with the good milk, .75 bowl, hunger 3/5

AM SNACK: 10:15am, marble pound cake, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Was hoping the more substantial breakfast would take me through to lunch. I was wrong.

LUNCH: 1pm, mushroom risotto, small amount of chocolate gelato, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 6:30pm, Weiner Schnitzel with German potato salad, cucumber salad, cooked cabbage, French Onion soup, half a dark beer, water, a few pieces of bread, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5
Dinner with friends before a movie at BAM in Brooklyn at a newish Viennese restaurant. This was the food of my father's childhood -- I think the last time I had a weiner schnitzel was in Vienna with my mom and dad in the mid 90s, very lucky to have done that. Still digesting it, figuratively and literally, perhaps more to say about it tomorrow.

No comments: