Tuesday, January 13

Risotto, and how we got there.


Had a nice but odd experience at a restaurant I'm auditing for class. It was a fix prix lunch menu, both me and B were paying the same amount for a first and second course. However, my panino and fries was a large amount of food and her tortelli were 6 little halfmoons all lonely on the plate.

Met with Ilsa this evening, seems she's flying the coop this year to pursue her life on the farm -- I need to start thinking in terms of how I've changed in my eating and food perspective since starting with her. Anyone out there following this blog from the beginning who can summarize the whole shebang for me? 100 words or less, please!

Nyquil gave me the sleep of the dead last night, feel better but stuffed up. Appetite came back, but worried about waking up predawn again tomorrow. Got to work out a new breakfast/food routine for the mornings.

As I was cooking risotto this evening (which takes a solid 45 minutes of constant activity), I snacked on dessert, tortas and gelato, but just a little. Earlier the sugar goes in, the theory goes, the less it'll effect my sleep.

BREAKFAST: 8:30am, swig of apple cider, 7 slices of bacon, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Had to make bacon or let it go bad. Was delicious, and nice to feed bits to Rufus out of my hand.

LUNCH:
Noon, prociutto & buffalo moz panino with fries, Caesar salad, 1 glass prosecco, small scoop of lemon sorbet, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER:
7:30pm, 2 Spanish sweet olive oil tortas, 3 spoonfuls of chocolate gelato, 2 bowls homemade mushroom risotto, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5
Hadn't made risotto in a while, pretty good. Using the chicken stock from yesterday, sauteed a shallot, added all the sliced mushrooms, sauteed the rice then added stock a ladle at a time till all absorbed. Added a cup of dry sherry and cooked to get ride of the alcohol. Cut the heat and finished with a half stick of the good butter, a half cup of marscapone and half cup of parmesan. Salted to taste and bammo, some kick ass risotto!

No comments: