Sunday, May 24

My stock brings all the Bs to the yard

BREAKFAST: 9:30am, matzoh farfel, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Not the lightest breakfast I ever had. Spent the morning cooking this up, based on the chicken stock I made yesterday. Put a good heaping spoonful of chicken fat in a wok, cooked it until it stopped bubbling -- all the water and impurities cooked off. Dropped in 2 cups of shredded carrot to soft, then 2 cups of minced onion and 2 cups of chopped portabello, dash of salt. Cooked till in smelled gooood and tasted sweet. Separately, 9 cups of crumbled matzoh, poured 2 cups of fresh stock over it and mixed by hand until absorbed.

This is where my stock kinda freaked me out a little, in a good way. I had the stock in the fridge in a large pot overnight, so all the fat came to the top and congealed, making it easy to spoon off into a container for separate use. I started spooning off the fat....and it got clearer, but didn't seem to stop....I realized that the stock itself was a bit...jelly-like! This is a good, good thing. Because I used three whole chickens with all the meat (minus the breasts), my stock now has a great deal of collagen -- the stuff of bone marrow and connective tissue that is incredible healthy to eat. Best thing, it has a fatty mouth feel but ads no fat, just protein! It's too intense to use as soup base, it has to be diluted, but when cooking something like risotto at full strength...oh my!

OK, OK, I soaked the matzoh while the salted veg was cooking off. Turned off heat, dumped soaked matzoh in the wok and mixed. Dropped a scoop of the mix into a bowl of 4 beaten eggs to raise the egg's temp, so when I dumped the eggs in it wouldn't turn into scramble. Coated the whole mess in egg, then dumped a table spoon of freshly grated ginger, a full bunch of minced parsley and seasoned with salt and a little pepper.

PM SNACK: 1pm, 2 ears corn with butter and salt, .5 bowl, hunger 3/5
Bought some corn yesterday, just curious. Good, not great.

LINNER: 2:30-6:30pm, corn chips, assorted dips, 2 thin slices of a large sammich, 2 hot dogs, 1 hamburger, 2 beers, water, 1 small canoli, a snippet of pepperoni, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Visited an old friend and her new husband up in Westchester, while B continued to bake the bebe. It was good to get out of the house and see some peeps. It's always weird when I go up there, really feel the difference between us 'city folk' and them 'suburb folk'. Still, some of my friends are newly pregnant, so a whole lotta bebe tawk was going down. I split at 6:30 feeling a bit bloated and achy. I wisely took my bike on the train up there, so instead of just turning around on the train, road down to Yonkers and took the train from there. I love biking. Freedom. Nice route, maybe take the HVS up there for our megaride this summer...

No comments: