Friday, May 1

Lobster!

Set the alarm for 6, and turned it off in a sleepy haze. Around 7:15am, B peeped up apologetically, "It's after 7, don't you need to get moving?" That's perhaps the coolest, most lovely way to wake up late! She's so great, I can't wait to wake her up and say something like, "Sweet B, the Sweet P needs yer boobie now."

Restaurant was eerily slow yesterday, slow enough to be our least-earning day since we opened. I'm of two minds -- on one hand, it hurts because even though I only have sweat equity in this place, I want to see it thrive and go on. I feel responsible for it's well being, like I was the owner. On the other hand, so many choices were made before I came on, choices that in hindsight could of been made differently to make things a lot smoother now. Regardless, I'm learning a lot more there than I am in culinary management school.

Had a flair up among the rank and file in the restaurant today, a real test of my managerial competence. I think I handled it ok, was able to smooth the water with a few people who speak very poor English, but the test will really be going forward.

BREAKFAST: 8:15am, apple fritter and marble cake, Manhattan Special, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
A breakfast that wakes you. I knew I'd be sleepy, so I took the Special home from the restaurant last night.

AM SNACK: 9am, snippet of sourdough bread, tomato, moz, basil, olive oil
A taste from the basil presentation in class

LUNCH: 4pm, lobster tail with freshly made coleslaw and roasted corn, water, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
A very odd staff lunch. L ordered a bunch of live lobsters for staff lunch, fortunately there was someone else in the kitchen who wasn't too squeamish about dispatching them. All my anxiety and ill feelings about killing lobsters came back up, just like in c-school. Holding the box, feeling them twittering and reacting to my movements, ick!

PM SNACKAGE: 5-10pm, a meatball, a cream soda, a slice of soda, a snippet of gelato, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 11:30pm, 2 slices cold pizza, water, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: