Sunday, April 26

Blown Thoroughly

Yesterday went well, so it was easier getting into the restaurant today. Not enough time to prep properly, and after a lunch service that went relatively smoothly, I found during dinner service it was one long game to catch up. I was in the back kitchen a lot leading a brigade of 3 others to put out the fires where ever they arose, whether than was making sauce, cutting cheese, making dough, cleaning and prepping garnishes, slicing toppings, keeping on top of the dishes, keeping delivery boxes stocked, and moderating between all the personalities involved. Hella fun, but after 14 hours two days in a row, I could see how people could burn out of this. The after-work drink really helped.

BREAKFAST: 8am, bialy with a little cream cheese and smoked salmon, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
B got some fish from Russ & Daughters for some brunch thing with friends, so I was able to indulge myself before the pressure cooker of a new restaurant on a Saturday.

LUNCH: 4pm, 2 slices of pizza, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Too busy for L to cook up something more off-menu, which is fine by me -- I think the pizza we produce is fantastic.

RESTAURANT HAZE: 4pm - midnight, sprite, a few prosciutto balls, a snippet of cucumber, a dry ginger ale, water, a glass of lemonade, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DEHAZING FLUIDS: midnight, pint of beer, one gin & tonic, 2 shots of whisky, water, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
The initial plan was to go home and recuperate, but people were going out, so after the kitchen crew finished up I followed after, aiming to be there a few minutes and ended up spending 2 hours and drinking way too much. It's nice when people cheer when you show up, hug you and kind of thank you for making their lives a little easier. I didn't let anyone buy me a drink, in fact I bought everyone one round, just seemed like the classy thing to do as a manager.

No comments: