Saturday, June 13

Eating around Edie


Last night I slept like a baby. B and Granny B, on the other hand, slept with a baby, which is not quite the same thing. Fortunately, there is not much for Edie to learn about feeding -- she seemed to know what to do about 20 seconds after popping out of B's belly. We're very fortunate -- the new mom we were sharing a small room with (divided by a thin curtain) had a baby who was refusing to nurse, and it was just all stress.

Side note about our roomies: Then again, these maroons were also ordering in sushi the first night they were in, and I overheard her family talking about some new cooking show about master chefs, where the food was just soooo boring, and how Tom Collicio is not a chef, just a restaurateur, and Craft is just ok. I'm not a fan of Tom C., but Craft is a spectacular restaurant and despite the media hype, he's the real thing. And B said they were watching Fox News all night, figures.

From 7 to 9, B and Granny B slept and every once in a while I'd shuttle Lil' Edie back and forth from B's milk supply, checking her diaper and just lovin' her. I think my beard might be irritating her skin, I may have to do something about that soon.

We took E to her first pediatrician app't today, and everything went swimmingly. It was nice being out in the world with B&E, out in Union Square. We took the bus home together, Lil' E's first ride on public transportation!

BREAKFAST: 8:30am, buttermilk pancakes, Neiman Ranch bacon, apple cider, 1.5 bowl
B gently woke me at 6:45am, so I got into the kitchen. Felt like it was Army time, and an army can't roll if it's belly ain't full. I put on a big pot of steel cut oats, which I don't like, but B and GrannyB do. I laid out a slab of bacon in the oven, and mixed up some buttermilk pancakes from scratch.

I made attractive plates for the ladies, with the oats in the center with a little pat of butter melting in a pool in the middle, garnished with quarters of pancakes on one side and a strip of bacon on the other. I wolfed mine down while standing at the range, and fed Rufus a whole strip of bacon, which he wolfed (catted?) down.

PM SNACK: 3pm, 2/3 of a slice of streetza, slug of ginger ale, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
After Edie's app't, walked past a slice joint on University below 14th St, couldn't resist as I've never tried it. Very typical slice joint. Slice reheated, very not fresh, crust a little too dry, sauce way too acidy, cheese cheap tasting and too plentiful. Not very good.

DINNER: 6pm, big salad, deep fried shrimp, 2 ears of boiled corn, a teaspoon of kimchi, a small bowl of chocolate chips and cashews, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
While B&E slept, I made myself dinner. I picked up shrimp from the market, but upon opening up, it smelled a little funky and felt a little slimy. So I made a simple batter with flour, milk, egg, baking soda and salt, and deep fried those lil' f@kers, just like any restaurant does with proteins that are a bit funky. Came out bleah. Method was on point, but batter needed more salt and more liquid to be thinner. Maybe some herbs or beer to amp up flavor. Corn was flavorless, not in season yet. I picked up some kimchi from the farmer's market but it was way too spicy and vinegary, gotta go to Little Korea and pick up some proper stuff.

No comments: