Monday, August 17

Smoothie Aggro

Woke up early and made an early yoga class with the HVS. Not getting into a grind and treating my body better has been on my mind later -- how will Edie be a happy baby if her caregiver isn't happy to be with her? Attempted a snickleride, but the tandem failed again, and ended up back at the bike shop. Spent the day napping, then went out and did a big food shop. Lots of fruits and veg in the house now!

SNICKLEBREAKFAST: 9am, blueberry banana smoothie, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
I watched the counterperson make this, and was very unimpressed. Ice, milk, frozen blueberry and mango, a banana. No yogurt, no sugar, no salt. It was tepid. The HVS expressed concern that by adding that stuff you make something thats rather virtuous something that'll clog my arteries. I think its all about balance. A spoonful of yogurt, a teaspoon of vanilla sugar, a shake of salt goes a LONG way in improving something like a homemade smoothie. Industrial food go CRAZY with the salt, sugar and fat, not caring for balance, just the right blast of stuff to addict you into getting more and more. When you have such an overload of that bad stuff, everything else will just taste wrong. My smoothie will be right from the getgo.

LUNCH: noon, rice pilaf, gatorade, spoonful of the good nutella-like spread, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 3pm, blueberry muffin

DINNER: 8:15pm, boneless thick sauteed porkchop, brocolli and shitake in pansauce, corn on the cob, water
I'm learning that cooking with sweet wine (I've had an old bottle of rose in the fridge for a while now) just sucks, dry wine is the way to go. Bacony pan sauce was nice, though now that I've done it once, will do it differently next time. (Render bacon lardons first, then add onion and mushroom. Add broc with the wine, instant flavorful steam. Use pre-reduced stock so as not to overcook veg.)

Goofed on the meat, c-school came back to me as eating it. I seared one side, attempting to cook it half way...but it was 3" thick. After 8 minutes, the cooked color only came up .5", so I flipped it to find a thick, crunchy fond developed -- a bit too far. So I put it in a 400 degree over for 6 minutes while I finished the sauce, the veg and the corn, and when it came out the 2nd side had no fond, but after letting it rest for a couple of minutes, it was great -- very juicy, very flavorful, and cooked to medium-well all the way through. I was aiming for a medium-rare, should of cut back to 3 minutes in the oven. I never cooked such a thick fillet in school, it was always thinner, even the thickest steaks were maybe 2" thick...next time, I'll have my method down.

No comments: