Sunday, August 16

I am now a father. Or maybe baby-daddy.

Sorry for the unannounced break, I thought I'd be able to update from my phone from where I was, but realized I had to set some prefs on the account before doing that. It's for the best, as the last 36 hours contained some revelations.

I was invited by a friend to stay at their family's house in the Hamptons, we were all invited. B did not want to travel so soon, after our weekend out in Greenport, so I decided to go with a friend. Instead of the whole weekend, went out Friday late afternoon by train and came back by 10pm Saturday. I had a good time -- a beautiful house on the water, pizza by the water first night, a yard full of wild sea grass, a kayak across the bay, local clams on the halfshell, a beach with drinks, a raucous nude 2 year old acting the clown.

But still, I found myself missing B&E. Though it had all the bits of a perfect short vacation out -- great friends, great hospitality, great food, lots of cool non-urban things to do and relax -- it just didn't seem that great with out them. I couldn't help but feel that the entire time I was out there, some key element was missing from making this a truely great time, without it just kinda marking time until that element is back.

I guess you never know gravity is there until you try to defy it. I hopefully won't make the same mistake again. And hopefully when E is a little bigger, even if B is not up to it, I can take her out on little adventures like this.

On a positive tip, my friends were showing me their childseat bike rig, a fully padded a protected device that sits right behind the handlebars. They took their child on it as soon as she could hold her head up -- 8 months. And when their kid hits 30 lbs, they're going to lend it to me. It's rated for 18 lbs minimum (Edie is only 6 lbs away) and if she has full head control by then, nothing will stop us from riding across county on the drop of a dime! Nothing can stop us!

So far I've gotten up and played with Edie about 6 times since starting this entry. Today, B left out around 8:30am and won't be back until 6pmish -- replicating what it'll be like when she's back at work in early September. I'm finding wearing Edie in a sling around the house has been calming her and freeing me up to do chores, clean up, read the paper, etc....wait, she's crawling and wiggling in my arms again....

BREAKFAST: 6:45am, good granola with good milk, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

AM SNACK: 10:30am, left over pad thai, Gatorade, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 1:30pm, prosciutto & moz panini, small salad, lemonade, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 7pm, rigatoni with homemade sauce & ricotta, watermelon, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: