Monday, February 22

Waffling


Well, that was a hell of a weekend. Due to a confluence of being near so much bad food, being around people who were down with the bad food and a pressurized situation surrounding it all, I perhaps ate the worst I ever have since starting writing about what I eat. When we got into the rental car, the first thing the driver did was....beeline for McDonald's drive-through. I couldn't wrap my mind around the toxic "beef product" that the NY Time so explicitly depicted a month ago...so I got the $1.99 10-piece chicken nuggets. The weekend's culinary exploits kind of went south from there.

We ate at the hotel the first night, and I think it was the salad bar that did me in. It reminded me of the small handful of tepid salad bars I experienced on my bike trip across the west. Usually limited to 9 or 10 items, half of those being processed food stuffs like crackers, breadcrumbs and heavy dressings. The other half would be vaguely wilted stuff out of a plastic bag, cleaned and cut at some factory in another state, after being harvested in a 3rd state. My stomach didn't feel right Friday night, and Saturday morning my innards seized up on me, and I ended up staying in the hotel room with Edie the whole day, dining out of the complimentary snack bar, until B & her brother returned....to take us to a chain establishment called "Macaroni Grill".

I'm sorry, dear reader, I swore I wouldn't record the nightmarish eating habits from the weekend. Like a weekend bender full of whores and cocaine, it's better to let it sit in the past, unrecorded and forgotten except as a warning to the future -- remember how bad you felt after you let it all hang out?

One thing I missed over the weekend were the liters of tap water I drink at home, 1 or 2 a day. The water in Ann Arbor tasted....vaguely soapy, minerally, a certain mouth feel that coated the mouth in an unpleasant way. We all noticed the distinct uptick in the number of fat people around us, I wonder if the quality of the tap water has anything to do with it. Makes me appreciate the high quality of water we have in NYC. With what I read about oil-drilling the shale in upstate NY potentially messing with the water table, I hope I won't be some old man ranting to his grandkids one day, "I remember when you could open a tap and water just as good as bottled specialty water would come out! We'd wash dishes with it! Flush toilets with it! And on top of that, you didn't have to pay for it! Taxes covered it, no fees, no nuthin'!"

I feel doughy and weak. The lack of exercise, specifically bicycling, is definitely starting to extract a toll on my mood and outlook. I think making arrangements with B for me to getaway several times a week to hit it hard on a bicycle is coming soon. March is the time.

BREAKFAST: 9:15am, homemade granola with the good milk, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

AM SNACK: 11:45am, a spoonful of brownie batter
Spontaneously got off the couch while Edie was asleep and decided to bake something. Had all the ingredients for fudge brownies, and realized I haven't made brownies for home consumption in a long time.

LUNCH: 1:30pm, 2 large pieces of demi-super-hippy bread with good peanut butter, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
All fresh veg in the house is either gone or spoiled, due to our 3 days away.

PM SNACK: 4:30pm, a bite of brownie
Cutting up the cooled brownie, a few crumbs found their way to my mouf.

DINNER: 6:45pm, large green salad with sauteed shrimp, 2 homemade waffles, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Making waffles on a caste iron waffleiron is hard, but fun.

EVENING SNACK: 7:45pm, brownie, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: