Wednesday, December 29

Unplowed

So the trudge to work was quite intense. Riding through narrow slushy streets was slow but fine, but the bike path over the Manhattan Bridge was unplowed, making me walk my junky commuter bike over a bumpy tundra. Despite wind and frigid temps, I started sweating like crazy and pulled off my hats and opened my jacket, sweating like nuts.

This holiday season is a real disaster for restaurants. First, Xmas eve and Xmas day falls on a Friday and Saturday, so instead of giving a boost to a slow mid-week day, it slows a busy weekend. Same for New Years, the eve on a Friday, day on a Saturday. Usually the week between the holidays is pretty busy, with people off work, tourists in town, but BLAM the blizzard of 2010 hits Sunday evening, leaving much of the city on lock down for half the week!

We got slammed at work, but the owner decided to understaff, so I was alone on the floor for the lunch crowd -- it was a lot of fun and made a few duckets, but by the end I was dizzy on my feet, legs aching and ready for the proper wait staff and busboys to take over (who I had to call in, but due to schedules and weather could not get there before the rush was over.) It was a bit like playing a video game, and kept me tightly wound until I finally fell asleep around 6 in the morning.









AM SNACK: 9am, iced green tea
LUNCH: 12:30pm, 4 slices super thin pizza, 8oz sprite, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
RESTAURANT DAZE: 1-8pm, 2 sprites, a black cherry soda, a cranberry lime, an almond ice cream, 2 little slices of white pizza, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


DINNER: 10pm, burgers and fries, water, ice cream sandwich, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: