Sunday, October 30

Another installment of dues, paid in full

Woke up rested but grumpy -- I had come this far, and though far reduced in it's hope and excitement, the Knishening had to go forward. The last minute change of date, location and price structure (from a set price to a donation box), on top of bitterly cold wind and a meager sun, had me standing out in my yard for three hours, hustling knishes and keeping a smiley face on.

I guess setting aside your bad feelings and sucking it up is a key definition of what being an adult is, but it doesn't make it sting any less. I did have some good conversations (a # of a purveyor who sells chicken fat!) and a lot of compliments on the knishes, so in all a bad situation was slightly made less bad. Still, I need to think long and hard about if this is what I want to do. Restauranting is a very weather sensitive business, and it was bad luck that my premiere event had to be both outdoors and on the snowiest October day in all recorded history. I'm glad I had the experience and the forethought to keep expenses to a bare minimum -- despite the loss, the future of Knishery NYC will not be determined by the financial outcome of this past weekend.

After four or so hours of being cheerful and outgoing when I felt like being the exact opposite, kinda went home and collapsed into myself, making my very pregnant wife not very happy. She had dealt with all my hyper focused knish making/mess generating all week, and I guess she was hoping for a more happy me when it was over. -sigh-


BREAKFAST: 9am, BLT on rye, corn muffin, diet coke, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


AFTERNOON SNACKS: 2-3pm, a couple of sweet knishes, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


DINNER: 6pm, shrimp burrito, chips & guac, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 8pm, half a pint of ice cream, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: