Friday, March 23

Not Pudding

Got a sitter so I could ride this morning, a little b-day gift to myself -- the weather was too nice not too, and the weekend is not going to be as good. Had a scan of my kidney in the afternoon, did some food shopping for the Mad Men dinner party I'm hosting on Sunday....

TODAY'S COOKING
Ice Cream batter: Making cookies n' cream ice cream for visiting inlaws tomorrow. Funny how I don't need to refer to a recipe, of all things, -sigh-. Pint of cream, pint of milk, cup of sugar, combine & scald. Temper in a dozen egg yolks. Add vanilla. Whisk until thickened, pour through sieve into ice bath. Chill, run through ice cream machine. I'll do that last step tomorrow, and toss in a package of Newman-Os that have been pulsed in the food processor.


Chocolate Pastry Cream: UGG. I'm serving chocolate pudding as part of the retro-TV dinner tomorrow eve. Rather than use the recipe I've been using, I used my c-school recipe for pastry cream. I remember making this at school, thinking, "Oh, this is kinda like pudding!" Key: LIKE pudding, NOT pudding. After making a load of this, I realised it's a LOT thicker and pastier than pudding, and not that sweet comparatively, so it can accommodate sweeter things on a tart. Probably will hold this, and remake pudding tomorrow.


BREAKFAST: 7:30am, iced green tea, corn chex and organic dead milk, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5


BIKE SNACK: 10:45am, 16oz gatorade, 10oz Manhattan Special, baggie of "potato stix", small Hostess apple pie, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


LUNCH: 2:15pm, breaded tilapia, 2oz whole wheat spag with tomato sauce, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Weird hungry feeling I get after a bike ride -- my stomach feels tight, feels full, but I still feel hungry.



DINNER: 6pm, beef lomein, egg roll, a few veg dumplings, can of Sprite, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 9pm, more beef lomein, a few more veg dumplings, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: