Wednesday, July 18

Deny your God, Worship your Land

ADDENDA:
Met with Ilsa yesterday, a lot of food for thought (no pun, I swear). In the next two weeks, I hope to experiment with a few things. One, I gotta hit up some farmer's markets, whole foods or whatever and kind of graze and find some veg I haven't had before and take it home and, I dunno, slather it in that yummy butter or something. Secondly, I've never been one to subscribe to 'organic', but after reading the 'Real Food' book, there may be something to tradionally manufactured food - whole grass-fed milk instead of soy milk may be a fun experiment. Happy meat, happy diary, happy veg, happy fruit and grain - if environmentally sound food happens to taste better and make me feel better, I won't become an environmentalist but I will support it's cause. If I'm going to change my diet for the better, man or Land, it has to be ridiculously delicious.

Naming these entries by date is boring. A long time favorite muscian, Julian Cope, just put out a new record dripping in his usual anti-Religion, Druidistic rantings, but on the inside of the booklet is scrawled "DENY YOUR GOD, WORSHIP YOUR LAND". If denying God will get me nicely yellow delicious grass-fed butter, then there's something to the argument!

BREAKFAST: 7:30am, large bowl of kellogs cornflakes, unsweetened soy milk, hunger 3/5. Felt like having diner bacon and pancakes (I did get a Fresh Direct order yesterday with organic pancake mix and nitrate-free bacon which has sea-salt instead of salt as an ingredient) Looking forward to experimenting with non-salt non-corn syrup morning cereals. Waiting for the bed to come. No headache this morning, but as I sit here an hour after eating, it's there, very slightly. Gonna save the pancakes and bacon for when I have time and it's a treat, maybe before or aftering biking.

LUNCH: 12 noon, large green salad from home with dressing from the cafeteria, 2 sushi rolls from cafeteria, 20 oz of still water. Hunger 4/5
Used Balsamic dressing, seemed the least evil of the bunch but who knows whats in it. Should experiement with making my own dressings. Salad was good, sushi was ok, not that fresh, pretty standard. No dessert, but feel like I could tuck into a mess of chocolate chip cookies right now. Headache has returned about 45 minutes after eating, slow and dull. Ate early because I needed too, breakfast with no snacks is not enough to satisfy me to a more normal lunch hour.

PM SNACK: 1:30pm, packet of 3 fudge cookies, hunger 2/5.
Craved them. Sweetness, chocolate. Headache got stronger. After eating them, headache receded, though not completely. A blood sugar thing?

4:45pm, 25 cent handful of plain chocolate M&Ms. hunger 4.5/5. Just hungry, no headache. Going to Balthazar with B & her friend, wanted to save my appetite, but this is just uncomfortable. I guess if I had no discretion, would go out and get a slice of pizza or two. This should hold me till dinner, which I imagine will be big n' yummy.

DINNER: 6:30pm, medium rare bar steak with fries, small portions of lobster risotto, walnut herb ravioli, warm goat cheese tart, white and whole wheat bread n' butter, half a glass of champagne, a few glasses of water, about a 3rd of a warm chocolate cake, two chocolate madelines. hunger 4/5. Went to Balthazar with B and her friend Patty, who was visiting town on business from LA. A bit of a celebratory meal in honor of our impending nupitals, I conciously decided to not overthink what I was going to eat and go with what I was in the mood for. I tend not too eat steak too often, as it makes me feel crappy - I'm that concious of what I eat, at least. But I desired it. It tasted SO GOOD. No headache after. Slept excellently (on new bed, with new bride, he he) and though I worried the steak would catch up with me, had a good morning.

EVENING SNACK: a couple of glasses of still water

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you'd like the Chocolate Underground Stonyfield Farms yogurt that's in the fridge? It's no I.L. gelato (not that there is any left anyway, all thanks to me....sorry!) but it does help satisfy the chocolate craving in a low-fat/sugar/sodium sort of way.

You're the YO in my gurt!

Lovinu.