Tuesday, August 21

I Used to HATE Lamb Chops....

ADDENDA:
My mom was a wonderful mother, a great person, a strong woman, a respected leader and a horrible cook. I remember the thin lambchops she would broil until they were tough, dry and the color of putty. No oil or salt that I can remember, never mind butter. Laying in front of the television, I'd cut the meat into bits then stick them under the corner of the carpet. After dinner, I'd be primed for a nice big desert.

I've been grooving on pork chops lately, but I think the time is coming soon to see what I can do with lamb, in my mom's honor.

BREAKFAST:
9am, cornflakes with whole unhomogenized milk, dirt tablet, hunger 2/5
Woke up late, but got a good night sleep. On the way out, saw the tray of mini pecan pies - one was half eaten by another resident of my apartment (hrumph!) I was very tempted to pop it in my mouth but, ummm, didn't want to have to cop to it here.

BP 10am: 126/80

LUNCH: 11:45am, chickpeas, lentils, spinach & panmeer over rice with nan bread, some raw onion, hunger 4/5
Just hungry, desirous of carbs. Sat down at local Times Square joint, read more of Animal Vegetable Miracle. Felt thristy. Why am I not drinking more water? Spicey mouth is shouting out for icecream, let's see how water does.

PM SNACK: 12:15pm, 24 oz still water

BP 3:30pm 121/84

PM SNACK: 4:15pm, bag of Robert's Potato Flyers, hunger 4/5
Eating my way through the non-sweet selection downstairs, hadn't had this in years. Puffed potato/corn thingies, with too much salt. Just tasted too salty, unpleasant. Went on their website to see the salt-content of their other products, was surprised to see a big announcement about a recall of their Veggie Booty due to salmonella contamination.

In Kingsolver's book, she writes about how the industrial food monoculture has limited the number of species and varieties of veg we eat, with an immense excess of potatos, corn and soy being pushed into our diets. Looking at these chips and the poisoned Booty, and can't help but see a connection.

DINNER: 7:30pm, half a Lombardi's pizza with pepperoni, onions and roasted peppers, homemade green salad, large portion of dulce de leche gelato and 4 pecan pie tarts, hunger 3/5
Salad was oddly unappealling, but the pizza was wonderful, if a little bit cheesier than usual. Little did I know this was the preamble to a long night....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

must have been rufus!