Tuesday, August 28

The High Cost of Cheap Food

ADDENDA: First deep, undisturbed sleep last night since getting sick. Feel 10 out of 10, a spring in my step. Finally! Time is slipping by...

Just read a bit in the Kingsolver book about the high cost of cheap food. I haven't been budgeting my foray into organics, actually trying purposefully NOT to look at prices, just buy it if it's better for me. But I definitely know Whole Foods, a.k.a. Whole Paycheck, has not been kind to my wallet. But alas, I feel better, either due to the organics, due to Ilsa's input, this blog propping up my diligence, or all of the above. If the price of cheap food is feeling crappy, high blood pressure and diabetes, I think paying a premium is well justified.

BREAKFAST
: 8:30am, toasted onion bagel with good butter, pint of water, dirtpill, hunger 3/5
Why do the whole wheat bagels only come in plain? If there was a garlic wholewheat and a sesame wholewheat, there would be rare occasion to eat otherwise in the bagel realm.

AM SNACK: 10am, 24 oz still water

LUNCH: 12:30pm, shrimp curry, jasmine rice, nan, dal, water, hunger 4/5
Got hungry. Almost went for Ramen but didn't want all the salt. After eating....NO SUGAR CRAVING!!! Huh. Didn't think it would retreat in only a week or two.

BP 4:15pm: 116/76

LUNCH #2: 5pm, felafel pita, hunger 3/5
Left building not sure what I wanted....ice cream! But what do I want that's specific to ice cream? Creaminess, not sweetness. Betsy loves that Fage stuff, but it tastes SO nasty. Maybe I should try the unrefined full-fat version (she only eats 0% fat Fage, ick), as something that'll sub for this ice cream desire...

DINNER: 7:30pm, tofu pad thair, 2 beef satay, 3 spring rolls, small bowl of gelato and small piece of poundcake.
Take out, convenient because of guests. Beef wasn't as tasty as I thought it would be. Usually, I'd finish this, but now if it don't taste right, I'm less inclined to go for it. I ain't a garbage bucket.

No comments: