Wednesday, September 19

Lunchtime Reverie

ADDENDA:
This morning, B expressed concern that big meals at the end of the day may be part of the reason she's put on a little weight this year and sleeps more. I'm not quite sure what to do - my entire life, the last meal of the day is the bigger meal, a chance to relax with cooking/food preparation. With work, the only chances to focus on food is breakfast which is a bit rushed, and dinner after work, which tends to be a few hours before sleep. I don't want to take meals separately from B at the end of the day, it's the time we have to be together with any real quality on a regular basis during the week...

BREAKFAST: 7:15am, yogurt with a squirt of honey and organic unsalted roasted peanuts, dirtpill, hunger 3/5
Nice heavy breakfast. Peanuty goodness, just like I used to eat as a kid growing up under my parent's roof. Only then, the yogurt was sugary sweet.

AM SNACK: 8:45am, 24 oz still water

BP 9am: 132/81

LUNCH: 1pm, Ethiopian vegetarian combo, water, hunger 4/5
Confluences at work too boring to explain here gave me a solid hour and half to take off and chill. So I hopped on my bike and went deep into Hell's Kitchen to go back to the place where my parent's found the food hellish, Meskerem. Before the summer, they were shuttered for health violations, and I only had the cuisine once lately, with B & her mom. This place, on 49th off 10th, is one of the best in the city.

I haven't really focused on this weird plate of food since changing my diet. It was more delicious than I remember it. Some people pray before eating or give thanks - me, I took a photo of the plate on my phone then snarfed it up. (unfortunately, my phone is not allowing me to export the pic). It just tasted fantastic, a cuisine formed in the shadow of 1000s of years of trial and experimentation with limited ingredients.

Having snarfed, I got back on the bike and rolled over to Central Park, eventually settling in on bench by the pond in the SE corner. Headphones rockin' the NPR podcasts, I sat contentedly with a full stomach watching people of all stripes walk by. The sun was shining, the weather comfortably coolish/warmish, wedding ring starting to get familiar on my finger, the big old trees reminding me why it's worth the struggle to live in NYC.

DINNER: 7:30pm, conventional baby carrots and a few greenmarket cucumber pieces, hummus, meat and cheese tortellini with fresh tomato, onion, mushroom, olive oil and good butter, a large serving of malt gelato, hunger 4/5
Cooked up a tortellini dish with random ingredients, after picking up some ingredients at the local Pathmark. I was there more to buy paper goods, deoderant and elusive sabra hummus, realized with all my green-marketing, have kind of left this supermarket.

No comments: