Saturday, September 22

Ride Down the Joisey Shaw

ADDENDA:
A nice relaxing Saturday. Woke at 6:15, made myself a hearty breakfast, hopped on the bike, picked up some kick-ass organic local donuts and pedalled down to Pier 11 to catcht the 8:15am fast ferry to Stoney Point. Road 30 miles down the shore and 30 miles back, the way back a lot quicker so I could make the 3:15 and miss the rain... which poured over me the last 15 miles.

A 2 hour wait for the next ferry, long straight flat pieces of road, and buckets of rain is good motivator to sprint and push your legs to the point of pain (in a good way).

BREAKFAST: 6:45am, 3 substantial pancakes, seltzer, hunger 3/5

AM SNACK: 8:45, 2 donuts, hunger 3/5
Watching the Verezanno peel by over my head, both ends invisible because of fog....time for a donut!

AM SNACK: 11:45, 4 whole wheat pretzels, small amount of gatorade, hunger 2/5
Halfway mark. Monmouth County public park, lots of surfers in full gear everywhere. Seagulls, fishing boats zipping around, to think I was home only a few hours ago...

PM SNACK: 12:45 'medium' cherry ice, hunger 3/5
From a concession's stand on the board walk at Asbury Park. In NYC, the 'regular' is a little paper cup with one small scoop. This was a gargantuan 3-scooper, bright neon red and weirdly overly sweet - corn syrup in FULL effect. Huh. I've had this quality of ice before, never tasted so totally cloying and fake. But my body just absorbed the sugar, and the rush propelled me into the rain....

PM SNACK: 2:15, 2 wholewheat pretzels, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 4:45, 4 pieces whole wheat bread with hummus, handful of carrots and cucumber, hunger 4/5
Betsy prepped a nice spread for me when I got home, which allowed me to cook for an hour without goin' nuts.

DINNER: 6pm, 2 smoked pork chops with mushroom & onion, basmanti brown rice, seltzer, hunger 4/5
Pork chops, non nitrate, from last week's farmer's market. Oh. My. Gawd. I got to have some friends over and serve this.

No comments: