Friday, September 21

Color Me Pagan

ADDENDA:
Betsy is a bit concerned about not honoring the Yom Kippur holiday, while I'm used to pretty much ignoring it all together, save for taking work off (which my mom insisted on.) Being I'm coming off a honeymoon vacation, I don't feel comfortable taking more time off.

Listening to NPR on my pedal to work this morning, I heard a story about how the hardliners in Iran are rewriting history books to diminish and ignore the greatness of the pre-Islamic Persian empire. Them Persians were friendly to Judeo-Christian things, had their own Zoroastrianism and Paganism, too. Ah, Paganism - from the little I know about it, it sounds like it was the ideal (and first) religion. Worship the land, sun, nature, fertility. Respect to those people and things who produce (and reproduce) the very basics of life. Of course, back then people died at the average age of 32 and didn't have chocolate. Still, if I were to give it all up and live on a family farm, I'd probably read up on Paganism to see how it could help me run the farm better.

A lot of dumb holidays have very smart Pagan roots, easter and halloween based on harvest fesitvals, Xmas on the winter solstice etc. Women demonized as witches in the switch from matriarchy to patriarchy. Crazy cat lady's cats literally demonized as familiars....hrumph, poor kitties!

BREAKFAST:
7am, good yogurt with peanuts and a dash of honey, superhippy bread with good butter, dirtpill, hunger 3/5

AM SNACK: 9:15am, 24 oz still water

LUNCH: 1pm, megasoy burrito with black beans, chips and salsa, small cup of Ben & Jerry's chocolate therapy, hunger 4/5
I occasionally go to Burritoville, maybe once a month, always eat the exact same thing, ever since I was a vegan many years ago. This burrito has soy cheese and sour cream, tempeh for meat, whole wheat wrapper, brown rice. The salsa that I had with the chips, though....ICK! It tasted soooo salty! Is this just this batch? Or did I not notice before? I'll go there in a month or so, and if it's so salty again, never again...

Figuring I'll be waking early to ride tomorrow, would eat my desert now rather than with dinner. Also, no pressure on B to snarf sweets with me. Ben & Jerry's pisses me the f#ck off - instead of small, medium and large, they have kid, small and large. How about 'normal', 'don't care' and 'superfatass'? You KNOW the smallest serving now was a large 30-40 years ago. Yeah, I ordered a 'kid' size, f#ck you, Ben & Jerry's!

PM SNACK:
2:30pm, 24 oz still water
Thirsty, lunch made me thirsty. Maybe because of the salty salsa?

PM SNACK: 6pm, popcorn, hunger 4/5
Movie with B, not totally desirous of the popcorn but wanted to share with her. Oddly enough, I got the 'medium', which seemed kinda small, particularly for $5. But the large was stupid, but still smaller than what I remember as a kid....Betsy got a headache after it, I was fine.

DINNER: 8:30pm, bulgogi, vegetable dumplings, kimchi pajun, white rice, weird slightly sweet cinnamon after-dinner non-alcholic drink, hunger 4/5
Had the traditional bulgogi, as I haven't eaten proper beef in a while. Eh, should of got the pork. Dok Suni (on 1st near 7th) is really good, Korean food that caters a bit more to round-eyed devils than some of the places on 32nd Street....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am fiercely godless but there's still a part of this jew-ish girl that needs to honor tradition itself...even if only to serve up a big f*ck-you to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad!!!