Wednesday, October 3

Stringbeans of My Father

ADDENDA:
As I was preparing dinner last night, I popped a raw string bean in my mouth and the taste-memories came flooding in. The bean tasted really fresh, and it's flavor really took over my mouth in a good way. I remembered walking around the supermarket with my dad, and he'd grab a bunch of the string beans and start munching on them as we walked through the market - he'd give me some, too. This was slightly unnerving, as we hadn't payed for them. I know the few times my mom came with us, this really annoyed her. But it was fun, it was something I was doing with my dad.

Usually with guests, my dad would steam string beans until their color popped, and put butter and salt on them. I never liked them, but I never really tried them, either.

BREAKFAST: 8am, conventional cornflakes with the good milk, hunger 3/5
Bought this milk at the farmers market directly from the producer instead of Wholefoods. It came in a thick glass bottle with a $1 redemption - they reuse their bottles - that's REAL recycling!

AM SNACK: 10am, 24 oz still water

LUNCH: 12:15pm, chickpeas, black lentils, spinach w/paneer, basmanti rice, nan bread, lettuce and onions, a few spoons of yogurt sauce, hunger 4/5
Got hungry early. Decided to aim for 2 packed lunches a week to start with, as I felt a little overwhelmed to begin. Start slow.

Spiciness made me desire sweets, but I waited. Desire went away, but now it's 2 hours later and I'm tired and feeling the urge for sugar again, but I'm not hungry at all....

PM SNACK: 4pm, 2 sesame pretzel sticks, hunger 4/5
From Tamar's stash, way too salty, but good. These minus the salt would rule the world.

DINNER: 8:30pm, small salad, fresh pasta with a little sauce, stirfried brocolli, mushroom and onion, apple crisp with homemade whipcream, 1 glass wine, an extra serving of apple crisp.
Had Keliy (our wedding photographer) over to deliver the pics, figured make a nice celebatory night and cook, too. Used a lot of wedding gifts through out the meal, plates, pots, wine. Especially the pasta making attachments to the mixer - it helped me make the pasta in half the time (still took an hour) but it came out so much better, firmer to the bite.

Not feeling gelato, so bought a cup of heavy cream and whipped it in the mixer with a bit of vanilla and honey, was really good, though next time I'll use less honey and vanilla. Weird texture, nothing like the chemically stuff that comes out of a can. But very delicious.

No comments: