Friday, January 23

Baby is Fo' Reals, Yo


I went to the hospital with B today for an ultrasound to make sure all the parts of the baby were intact, and on a side note found out the gender. My wife doesn't want to know, so it's my secret...but if you want to know, scroll down to the bottom of this post to find out. Finding out was one of those moments...you don't think it's gonna be a big deal and then, when you do find out, it's like whack: a concussion. You don't remember what happened and yet you feel a huge excitement welling up from all directions...but you're not quite sure why. Then you remind yourself, and it's, oh yeah. He he.

Felt like a quick celebratory meal, pizza but something weird. Went to Viva Herbal, an odd vegetarian/vegan pizza place in the East Village. I'm quite familiar with it from the dark days of the years I was vegetarian & vegan, and fooled myself into thinking it was...pizza. On the bottom shelf they have traditional pizza, with cheese n' stuff, which seems silly (you don't get fish at a steak house, you don't get pizza at a burger joint, etc), but I thought it could be interesting. There traditional slice was WAY over-cheesed with a blanket of flavorless moz. I had a vegan picante, which is a snappy whole wheat crust with no chew, topped with a thick layer of relatively mild tomato stew, thickened with soy meat balls and roasted red peppers. It was actually pretty tasty, but a stretch to call it pizza.


Cooked up a bacon corn bread for a party I attended late in the evening. The theme was the Depression. Cheap, filling, full o' lard -- that's what I think when I imagine what people ate. And apples. (All those pictures of apple carts.) The party had a real working old-fashioned fireplace, and we toasted marshmallows in the living room of a well-appointed Carroll Gardens apartment, an odd experience. Riding home over the Brooklyn Bridge, my mind wandered as to what it's will be like raising this kid, this kid who just became a lot more defined today. Not that gender is the be-all end-all -- I still intend to go strictly gender neutral on the stuff side of things, and if my kid is born and naturally blossoms into something decidedly queer (or whatever the PC word is today), that'll be perfectly fine, too. I mean, Rufus was just fine living as a dude until his gender reassignment! Oy, it's 2 in the morning and I'm slightly buzzed and really tired. Good night!

BREAKFAST: 9am, organic corn flakes with dead milk, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH:
1:15pm, 2 weird slices, chocolate cigar, 1.5 bowl

PM SNACK:
3pm, bacon cornbread drippings, swig of apple cider, water, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 7pm, small bowl of potato chips, .25 bowl, hunger 3/5

EVENING DRINK & SNACKS: 9pm-1am, 1 beer, 1 manhattan, 1 gimlet, small plate of bland rice & beans, small wedge of bacon cornbread, small piece of smoked moz, 3 smores, 1.5 bowls, hunger 3/5

EVENING WATERING: 1:30am, quart


It's a.....



...First, this political message....




OK, OK. It's a.....









BIRL!!!

Because it sure aint a goy! I've been sworn to secrecy!

No comments: