Sunday, June 28

Day of Fun Food 1


Good day, maybe ate a little too much towards the end but had a nice relaxing day.

BREAKFAST: 10am, good yogurt with honey, vanilla, cashews, .5 bowl

PM SNACKING:
12:30pm, water, jerky, salted chocolate caramels, a little diakon and kimchi, smokey ricotta, half a whitefish sandwich on black bread, quarter of a beef pie, a few bits of pickle, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
The Unfancy Food Show in Williamsburg was fun, very similar to last year's. Of note was Gerald's Jerky, who do a beef jerky like I've never had. I've read about the stuff, but never made it or even seen it. I've had Slim Jims growing up, and have seen those dusty plastic-wrapped sheets from tourist traps out west with lists of ingredients as long as any slim jim, but this was different. Tough and tender in a weird balance, spicey like pastrami but not so strong -- you can really taste the beefy steak flavor of the dried product. Wow. And the pickled diakon from the kimchi vendor was unreal. The white fish sandwichs offered from Marlow & Sons was shocking how good it was -- I thought it would pale in comparison to what Russ & Daughter's do, but with it's hearty black bread, thin slices of kiwi and fresh lightly dressed pike, it was just right.

Tomorrow, I check out other Fancy Food Show with school...

PM SNACK: 2:30pm, white wine spritzer
At home gettin' my drink on with B&E.

LUNCH: 3:30pm, poutine, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Out to Pommes Frites with E, an echo of out trip years ago to Montreal. The fries were great, the cheese curds were good, the brown gravy was over-salted and tasted like it was made from bullion - yuk!


PM SNACK: 4:30pm, popcorn, cherry icee, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
At the movies. Ahh, the taste of high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, artificial flavors, guar gum and if I'm lucky, pectin!

PM SNACK: 7pm, beef jerky

DINNER: 8:45pm, "homemade" "pizza", 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Had this pizza kit thing laying around a while, and happened to have some spare moz and parm from the last time I cooked pizza, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Ewww! I followed the instructions, and the dough mix gets mixed by fork with water, rest for 10 minutes, then stretch into a pan. My dough was lumpy, wet and hard to work with. I got it on to a piece of parchment, but someone who isn't experienced would have a huge mess on their hands. The sauce that came with the kit was absolutely disgusting, tasting mostly like overcooked tomato paste and salt. There was a spice packet that came with it, but it was congealed into one dry brick that I had to discard. The main ingredient it was...nutritional yeast? Wha? I baked at the recommended temp of 450 for about 15 minutes, to get some color on the crust. Oddly enough, the crust tasted....freezer burned? What I thought was freezer burn on a frozen pizza kept to long was just poor quality and cheap fillers, I guess.

I'm all for making pizza at home and including the kids on it, but this is ridiculously gross. I guess kids would find it yummy, but shouldn't adults like it too?

No comments: