Monday, August 24

Editions with the HVS

Woke up at 5, then woke up again at 6:15, fighting the good fight to get myself to an early edition of Yoga with the HVS. Had a hard night last night. It started ok -- B was released for a late edition of Movies with the HVS, which meant my first edition of Bedtime with Edles. It started off good, with the usual bouncy seat here, a bottle there, a little shower in the sink over there. Then she just cried, and cried, and cried. I never let it get to the 'bad cry', but it took up my full attention and physicality for a solid 90 minutes before she started to settle down. She blinked out on my stomach on the couch finally around 8:30, just in time for all my phones to start ringing off the hook, as B was looking for an update. Edles brief awakened state allowed me to quickly transfer her to the bed.

The three of us were all a little roley poley in bed last night, leading to a glazed feeling when I got up this morning. My tandem broke down on the way out to yoga, so I had a nice early morning walk over the Brooklyn Bridge with 50 pounds of rolling uselessness. When I got back to the neighborhood, I consciously did NOT want to be in a bad mood and transfer that bad mood to B, so I stopped in my local diner and had a bigger breakfast. Ghosts of my parents there in full force, we ate at this greasy spoon many times, every time a happy time. Makes me think -- since coming back to the city after school, pretty much every time I would meet up with my parents, it put me in a good mood. Not many people in this life have that effect. B, Edles, HVS, and maybe 2 others, and that's it.

BREAKFAST: 6:30am, good yogurt with honey and vanilla, .25 bowl, hunger 3/5

BREAKFAST 2: 8:30am, BLT on rye, home fries, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH:
1:30pm, potato nic, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Right before my second breakfast, stopped by Moishe's, my local kosher bakery. Picked up 2 potato nics and a chocolate babka. The old Yiddish woman behind the counter asked me if I was sure, because both were from yesterday, but I said it was fine. She discounted everything (I paid $9 instead of $15), and chatted about how she felt like how she was about to die, even though she's been doing nothing. I said perhaps its because she was doing nothing, and she gave me the same exact grimace/smile/sideways glance my mom would give me when I said something cheeky to her.

Anyway, at the birthday party/baby infestation I attended on Sunday, I had a long conversation with a guy my age about pickles and potato nic, we're both fans. No where else have we had potato nick like Moishe's, and we both have looked up recipes that resemble potato kugel more than what this dense savory potato bread is. Makes me want to reverse engineer it. If I had to make a recipe, it would be kind of like a cross between a potato kugel and a potato latke, with some whole wheat flour, salt and fresh ground pepper thrown in to shake it up a bit. Hmmm.

PM SNACK: 4pm, momma style salad, remnants of the ice cream, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
B decimated the homemade ice cream last night, and ate more today, so if I didn't finish it myself, B would have absorbed it through osmosis or something.

DINNER: 7:30pm, roasted and braised suckling pig, wagyu beef carpaccio, roast quail, cauliflower, puree of potato, Swiss chard, onions, gazpacho, bread & butter, chocolate souffle and cheesecake ice cream, water, 1.75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Took Y to Craft for her birthday, we ate like crazy. Haven't seen in a while, but when we sit and eat, it could be one day or 10 years and it just doesn't matter. Only with Y (and maybe E) could I pull out my fart-maker on my iPhone at the end of the meal and get a huge laugh from both of us, despite disapproving looks from the surrounding tables.

No comments: