Monday, August 31

Preparing the Kitchen for Edie

My friend is is off to the Minnesota State Fair for a week, so I met up with her before she left for the airport to give her a 'survival ration' made up of raw vegetable, hummus, high-fiber cereal and packets of lube from CVS (to assist with getting her pants on and off!)

As I was uptown and hungry for dinner, I swung by the noodle shop near my old employer for a meal. I remember enjoying the food highly, and I ordered a simple dish of sliced roast pork over a fried rice. For $6.50, it was easily 2 bowls of high-calorie dense vegetable-free food. Holy crap! I ate the whole thing, but I would have also been satisfied if it was half the size. Wow. I was packing this in while I was riding a desk for five years. No wonder even though I feel fat right now, I'm still 15-20lbs lighter than I was then.

In the evening, I made peanut butter ice cream and a round of "adult" fudge brownies. I had the key ingredient lying around for more than a year (I'm not a very good druggie), and figured better make something I can give away and indulge in maybe. Don't want stuff like that hanging around the house as Edles gets older. ESPECIALLY laced brownies! Memories of me scouring the freezer as a kid looking for treats, and finding my dad's pork breakfast sausages hiding in the back. These brownies will be gone before Edles gets to that point, that's for sure. And she will only find hidden stashes of healthy high-fiber unprocessed foods! Yeah!

BREAKFAST: 10am, 3 pancakes, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 1:45pm, hotdog with kraut and onions, potato nick, gatorade, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 6:15pm, roast pork with fried rice, wonton soup, water, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 7:30pm, a few mini dark chocolate peanut butter cups, a spoonful of freshly made peanut butter ice cream, .25 bowl, hunger 2/5

EVENING SNACK: 10:15pm, ramakin of peanut butter ice cream, .5 bowl, hunger 3/5
Very curious how this came out. I kinda made up this Philadelphia-style (no egg) ice cream recipe, trying to keep the number of ingredients to a minimum:
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 2 scraped out vanilla beans
  • 1/2 cup cane sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 pt heavy cream
Creamed the peanut butter, vanilla and sugar. Used the good peanut butter, ground fresh at the market, with nothing else in it. Added the milk and let it loosen everything. Added the cream and loosened some more. Into the ice cream machine, then into the freezer.
Tasted clean and pure -- can taste the peanut, can taste cream, not too sweet, just sweet enough. Next time may play with a maple or molasses sweetener to play against the peanut flavor. A dash of salt probably wouldn't hurt.

No comments: