Thursday, September 3

To be a Bohemian in the 1890s...

Woke up before dawn to prep for a bike ride -- I was hoping to do 100 miles. Got out the door by 6am, but as I was riding up the west side bike path, found myself getting more and more tired, less and less focused -- the opposite of what should, and usually, happens on a ride like this. By the time I was near the GWB, I stopped and ate the bagel I had hoped to munch on in the wilds of rural New Jersey. After eating it, got on the bike, pedaled a a few minutes and realized I felt even more drained than before the bagel -- something was not right.

I road home slowly, took a shower and put myself to bed, not arising until 3pm. I think yesterday's burger did a number on insides -- I like burgers, but ground meat that's not thoroughly cooked (like meat balls) never sat well with me. And if I have an Edie to look after, a burger is not a risk I should be taking!

I spent most of the day in bed with Edie while B did household chores, and got half way through "Chop Suey: A Cultural History of Chinese Food in the U.S." I've been eating take out Chinese most of my life, but unlike pizza, know very little about it's history. The book is quite an eye-opener, starting from the first American trade ship to China in the 1780s, through the anti-Chinese problems in California after the railroads were completed, and right now I'm up to the part about NY in the late 1800s, when "bohemians" decided to stick a thumb in the eye of the upper crusties and started to be the first Westerners in the history of the world to thoroughly enjoy Chinese food. Yup, it took some uppity artsy NYers with a little money and a little annoyance with foofy rich people to get me today's mooshoo shrimp...

BREAKAST: 5:15am, smoothie, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

AM SNACK: 7:30am, pumpernickel bagel with peanut butter, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

DUNCH: 4:30pm, egg roll, mooshoo shrimp with a little brown rice, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: