Wednesday, September 2

A day out

B got out the door at 8:15am, and then it was me and Edies vs. the world. She got cranky so I got her into a stroller and out the door we went -- the motion immediately soothes her, or perhaps in it's the world around her constantly changing. We took the train over to the restaurant and I spent an hour with L talking business and menu stuff, Edles performed remarkably. Our first work-trip together, maybe it won't be the last!

We made our way up to Brooklyn Borough Hall and she slept while I ate a cart muffin. We trained it up to Grandmamma's house, and on the train no one gave me a seat while I squatted over Edie and fed her a bottle. Grandmama took over and I took B out on our first date minus a baby since Edles came.

We hopped in a cab and made a matinee of "Julie and Julia". I loved the half of this movie about Julia Child, her good spirit and love of food, the context of the times, etc. Like many watchers of this film, I think in the next few days I'll be making Beouf Bouginion (which from my understanding, is just a braised stew -- c-school 101, literally. Cube some cheap cut of beef, brown it, cover it in wine and beef stock, braise it, add some sauteed veg and bacon, finish with, I'm guessing, butter. Never made it in c-school, but did other similar French braises)

The other half of the film, about the blogger Julie Powell who cooked every one of Child's recipes from her famous cook book in one year, well, I liked the book, could have done without the movie. She come off as self-obsessed and maybe points out whats wrong with blogging in general (and I don't except myself here) -- it's all me me me, with little by way of substance. Julie Child brought substance into the world, Julie Powell just....cooked in her kitchen and blotivated. Me, I just blotivate! He he.

Which makes me think I should reboot this blog for a third time, less me me me-centric and more thoughtful towards a goal. According to the Department of Health's Body-Mass-Index, my ideal weight for my gender, age and height is around 165 lbs, and my current weight makes me 'obese'. I would have to lose over 55 lbs to be "normal" according to this index -- I think I'd look like a malnourished castaway on the edge of death. Should I attempt it? I dunno. Let's blotivate along here...

After, we went to a bistro with a lame menu, where I ate a burger, which was tasty but didn't sit well with me later in the evening.

BREAKFAST: 7:30am, large piece of watermelon, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

AM SNACK: 11:15am, street corn muffin, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 1:15pm, cherry icee, popcorn, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 4:15pm, burger and waffle fries, some spaghetti & garlic bread, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 7:30pm, glass of mint lemonade, .5 bowl, hunger 3/5

No comments: