Sunday, January 10

5

Between a crying baby, an upset and an unhappy tummy situation, I didn't get to bed until around 4:30am. Woke up around 1:30pm, and Edles & I rolled out to the greasy diner around the corner. Not good food, but we didn't have to get 100% bundled up to get there. B was supposed to take a nap. but ended up joining us. It was 5 years ago today that my mother passed away.

I used to meet my parents at this diner on Sunday afternoons. We would always get the same things. We'd all drink diet coke. It was cheap, fast, convenient. After, we'd either go back to their apartment to fart around, or mom would go home and me and dad would go to the movies, or a museum, or book and record shopping, whatever.

Five years is a long time, but I still see and hear my parents quite clearly. Scrambled eggs, toast, margarine no bacon (but they'd eat some of mine), home fries, diet coke, coffee with splenda.

LUNCH: 2:30pm, BLT on bagel, home fries, diet coke, water, half a black & white, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Not my usual nowadays, but comforting. Diet coke on ice in a tall plastic cup with a wedge of lemon is somehow superior from straight out of the can, but if I were to try to replicate this anywhere but at this diner, would probably taste like the acidy fakeness it is. After eating, Edie & I popped into the kosher bakery next door to get a black & white. My mom got these for me a few times, not because I like them, but because she grew up on them as a kid in Brighton Beach, and though she didn't eat them herself, it gave her some sort of feeling continuity or home by getting them for me. I ate the chocolate half.

PM SNACK: 6:30pm, blue corn chips with salsa, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 8pm, chicken soup with vegetable gyoza, potatonik, 2 graham crackers and a little chocolate, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Using my chicken stock, spiked it with sea salt and Worcestershire sauce. Tasted weird, good, not quite there yet.

No comments: