Saturday, January 16

In Style

Made pastry cream last night, this morning attempted to turn it into chocolate-almond pastry cream -- as a filling for chocolate ravioli I'll be serving as desert for tomorrow's dinner party. The recipe called for gianduja, a hazelnut-infused chocolate not available at my local markets. So I tried to melt chocolate on a double boiler with almond paste, but almond paste does not melt. D'oh! So as I mixed and mixed, the paste turned into sticky little grit-bits. I mixed the melted mass in with the cold pastry cream, and voila -- chocolate pudding with little sweet lumps of gooey almond paste. Fine for a snack, inappropriate for a refined fancy desert filling.

So I ran to the local market to pick up ingredients and remade the pastry cream, and infused it with chocolate and almond extract in the evening. The chocolate ravioli only took a small portion of the cream, so I made two large tart shells to take the 2 loads of chocolate pastry cream. I guess if I'm going to only eat home-made sweets this week, might as well do it in style....

BREAKFAST: 9am, chocolate pudding with candy almond bits, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

BREAKFAST 2: 11:30am, onion bagel with butter, sable and onion, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5 Totally forgot the babaganoush!

LUNCH: 2:30pm, muffaletta sandwich, 1/3 of a chocolate caramel tart, 1 beer, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER:
8pm, 2 slices of white bread toast with babaganoush, tortilla chips with a little salsa, a few spoonfuls of chocolate pastry cream, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: