Thursday, March 4

Katz in half

Spent the morning eating righteously, because I knew the balance of the day would be on thin ice. Edie & I met up with Cousin Jenni, in from Canada for a Bar Mitzvah we're attending this weekend. We met up at Katz's, because Jews can't get good deli in Canada (smoked meat my ass!) We split a meal that most people regard is a meal for one -- a pastrami sandwich, an order of fries. The plates are small but heaping. The customers in the cafeteria-style dining room reminded me of the people we saw in restaurants in Michigan -- large, overweight people, eating plates of large quantities of food. I would go to Katz's more often, but they don't sell half-portions.

In the evening, it was all about entertaining, not necessarily eating healthily. On the way home, we decided to pick something up fun that was of the neighborhood -- donuts from our increasingly famous local donut shop. Of course, when B got home about an hour later, she brings home....a big box of donuts. Great minds (and hungry stomachs) think alike.

So according to Brown's rules, I ate THREE once-a-week items -- red meat, pasta and desert. -sigh-. I was thinking maybe I should be much more strict 6 days a week, and go nuts once a week, but that doesn't make any sense -- that would turn this effort into a diet, rather than a lifestyle change. There needs to be flexibility and not a lot of self-loathing.

BREAKFAST: 9am, momma-style Israeli salad, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Baby carrots, cucumber chunks, a wedge of red pepper, a bit of Alpine-carraway cheese, hummus.

AM SNACK:
10:15am, handful of red grapes.
After writing up yesterday's report about the surprising deliciousness of grapes, it made me hungry for something sweet....and there just happened to be grapes in the house! Not nearly as good as yesterday's. I guess that's to be expected when the fruit is out of season and imported from Chile.

AM SNACK: 10:45am, home-roasted gingersoy almonds, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Still hungry. Makes me think I need to make granola soon (as that is definitely both a) whole grains and b) chock full o' nuts)

LUNCH: 1pm, half a pastrami sandwich, half an order of fries, a small handful of pickles, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 7pm, homemade pasta with homemade tomato sauce, a little bit of cooked spinach, about 1.5 donuts, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 9pm, left over pasta in sauce, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
I found myself hungry after Jenni had left and the ladies had gone to sleep. My first move was to go for the homemade chocolate ice cream, but after thinking, realized that would be a second desert when I should be somewhere between once a week (B's rules) and one a day (for now, N's rules). So I ate the leftovers -- rather than a separate thing, just a continuation of dinner. Or at least that's how I rationalized it...

No comments: