Friday, March 5

Sninner

I think I negotiated the day well today. I think I'm going to post an interpretation of Alton Brown's plan for eating as a side bar, as I'm starting to refer to it over and over again, but the casual reader wouldn't have a clue to what I'm talking about.

On the way home from a late lunch, stopped by the local humungo supermarket and poked around. I picked up a couple of cans of....sardines. Brown went on and on about the nutritional power of these buggers, and I really really hope I like them. A simple preparation with parsley and vinegar, garnished with avocado on whole wheat bread is in my future...

BREAKFAST: 10:15am, organic chex with organic dead milk, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Inspected the ingredients of the cereal -- about 7 different grains, all whole, well within the comfort zone of B's rules of whole grains every day.

AM SNACK: 11am, slice of fresh pineapple
Cut up a whole pineapple for B and ate some. Inoffensive, but not great. Hints of vanilla.

PM SNACK: 1pm, baby carrots and cucumber, lightly salted, 5 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 2:45pm, vegetarian dim sum, including mixed gluten, mashed tarro treasure boxes, mini sticky rice wrapped in lotus leafs, monk dumplings, tea, water, 1.75 bowl, hunger 5/5
After doing chores, not much else to do except be hungry. Bundle Edie up in the stroller and made our way to Veg Dim Sum. I ordered 4 dishes, thinking I was exhibiting control, but it was on the edge of too much food. Going solo, I gotta remember to limit to 3, which is less fun but really, now. Brown's rules area bit agnostic on this meal, except maybe for the tea, though I don't think it was green.

PM SNACK:
5pm, frozen smoothie bomb pop, .25 bowl, hunger 3/5

SNINNER: 9pm, school-made salsa and "whole grain" tortilla chips, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Sninner: somewhere between a snack and a dinner! What exactly is "whole grain" tortilla chips? The ingredients are whole-kernel white corn, oil and salt. The texture was slightly grittier than the usual, but if I didn't know it was "whole grain", I wouldn't have noticed. I counted three whole-grain tortilla chips on the supermarket shelf, and all had the same ingredients. I only chose mine (Bachmann's) because it was the smallest (NYS as opposed to national) brand and had the least amount of fat per serving (though not by much.)

The salsa made in school was a bit lame, but we made it to demo knife skills, not make the best salsa in the world (and because the kids had only had cooked jarred salsas in the past, for them it WAS the best salsa!) Tomato, onion, jalapeno, onion, cilantro and tomato juice (ingredients: tomato, a few preservatives, salt), red wine vinegar, salt. No fat. So this sninner fit well within Brown's rules of order -- whole grain, lots of vegetable.

No comments: