Monday, March 22

The Sweet Tooth Rears It's Head

Last Monday, Friday & Sunday, I was able to go without dessert. Other than the post-ride indulgence on Saturday, the desserts I did eat were relatively conservative. Notable, because there are no 2 non-dessert days in a row. What does that mean? Well, being Monday, start of the new week, I tried to have a fully green-text kind of day. Dinner was lacking in carbs, which I tried to accommodate with some whole-grain corn chips with the salad and a post-dinner big bowl of freshly popped popcorn. I started getting itchy for sweets, and had my last smoothie pop. I was hopefully that it would stop the cravings, but in only primed the pump, and I searched deep into the cupboard to find a small amount of chocolate hazelnut spread, maybe an ounce worth. I was about to wack it on graham crackers when I pulled back, maybe I didn't need THAT much sugar, just a sustaining dose. It worked.

Strategy for next time. Pasta would help with this, but for that reason pasta (like desert) is once a week. I need more & better carbs, but all this whole wheat bread and brown rice is gonna get tired. Carrots should be a fall-back, and I should go get some potatoes. Maybe my sweet-potato aversion should be tested?

BREAKFAST: 9:15pm, organic wholegrain cheerios with dead milk, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 12:30pm, a fuji apple, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Sitting in the dining area of Wholefoods feeding Edie, I felt really hungry but didn't have anything on me other than what I bought at the farmer's market previously -- a pint of spicy kimchi and 3 NY State fuji apples. It took a second to dawn on me -- duh! I can eat an apple!

LUNCH: 2pm, sardines and avocado on wholewheat with a side of kimchi, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
After a long morning out, good to have some fresh stuff to jam in. Sardines this time were skinless and boneless and packed in olive oil. I drained some off, threw in a shot of vinegar and a handful of fresh parsley, mashed it a bit, and it was just fabulous. Definitely not low fat or low calories, but high in all sorts of nutrients and very satisfying. I almost got a big lumpen potato knish on the way home, but the thought of this sandwich got me through.

DINNER: 5pm, large green salad with wholegrain corn tortilla chips, shake-n-bake sole, kimchi, large bowl of popcorn, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 7:15pm, smoothiepop, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 9pm, chocolate hazelnut spread on ritz-like crackers, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5
I probably would of eaten a lot more, except there wasn't much left of what I found at the back of the cupboard.

No comments: